Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: 56 Leonard Street - 57-story tower - by Herzog & de Meuron

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ What the hell is that doing here?! Go start a thread under "Anything Goes."

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Sorry. I was in one of those moods this morning and the thought of a law school putting up a new building in one of the most expensive places to do so in the world set me off.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Cool

Completely understandable.

I'm surprised BL was so rational when discussing the dire state of affairs that law schools / legal system are in -- especially considering how it creates a situation of unequal representation for various citizens and gives an unfair advantage to the monied classes.

Rational? I don't think so.

For one thing, to blame law schools for inflation in the overall economy and society at large couldn't be more preposterous. Law schools and the students who attend them are a miniscule, almost infinitesimal part of the economy.

They are hardly the driver of the economy. Little old ladies deciding to buy/not buy cat food will probably do more to affect the economy than they do.

Law schools are affected by higher costs like everyone else. They have to pay utilities, administrative workers, maintenance on the buildings, professors and even the books on which they use are getting expensive.

Law schools are no different than other segments of society in that they compete with each other, with the more successful and prestigious ones commanding higher costs. One can't continually raise tuition just for the sake of raising tuition.

Furthermore, in a free society, no one is forced to go to law school. If it's too expensive, then you have the choice to not go. Even then, if an individual from a poor background but who is intelligent, talented, have good grades and is intent on going, high tuition doesn't have to be a deterrent since there are scholarships and government aid available to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    Sorry. I was in one of those moods this morning and the thought of a law school putting up a new building in one of the most expensive places to do so in the world set me off.
    This doesn't even make any sense. So law schools are not allowed to expand? If enrollment increases, the school should just cram 500 people in a broom closet?

Expensive or not, the school is located where it is. What are they supposed to do? Build in Camden? How about building out in the middle of nowhere in the cornfields of Iowa? That would be even better.

You're expanding on a post that you claimed should not be in this thread in the first place.

It's human nature to detest lawyers.

Or at least it seems so as it's been the general attitude for at least 500 years -- and probably far longer.

Thank you, forum members, for providing the wider community with lots of great info on projects in progress in our great city. I read the forum frequently even though to date I haven't posted much.

As a person who has grown to respect the forum community as I have regularly read posts, please let me say this:

BL and Lofter: Antinimby is probably right...BL's points are highly debatable. I tend to agree with Anti's viewpoint, though he chose to say it in such a way as to make me think he could be more Antisocial than Antinimby. Antinimby is also right about another thing...the posts about lawyers and law schools belong somewhere else, just as a post about finance guys and business schools would be out of place in the thread about the BoA Tower.

Antinimby: Stache is right...although I agree with the substance of your views, you undercut your own credibility by choosing to walk down a path you claimed belonged somewhere else. It's kind of like the nimby who claims he doesn't want the apartment tower near the park, but then shops at the Whole Foods in the base of the tower after it opens.

To everyone: thanks for this incredible forum. I know I have free-loaded by learning from your posts without participating myself. I speak up now only so that you know how valuable the forum you have created is to the much broader community, and therefore I hope to remind you to consider treating it as something valuable and valued.

So, now, back to what you all do best-- so how about that site on Leonard Street! Anyone know when we can expect a rendering from Herzon & De Mueron?

I think that the building looks nice. Must be nice to have Sallie Mae footing the bill.

If we don't sidetrack into other related issues then this thread will be dormant for another year, since they've barely put a dent in the hole for the foundation of the main part of the new NYLS building.

Weekly reports on digging machines and dirt will get a touch tedious.

Supposedly the Herzog de Meuron design for the tower to rise next door on Church will be revealed in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    You're expanding on a post that you claimed should not be in this thread in the first place.
    And I would have left it at that if it weren't for you, a moderator, giving your blessing to him going off-topic.

So once I saw that you did, I'm going to assume that it was fair game.

Antinimby has a case of the Mondays (EST).

Well the important thing is that he apologized for it.

I'm moving this thread to Skyscrapers and Architecture in anticipation of a 800 foot tower designed by Herzog de Meuron.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Well the important thing is that he apologized for it.
    Well, it seem the natural thing to do since you had done so beforehand.

Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast