Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast

Thread: 56 Leonard Street - 57-story tower - by Herzog & de Meuron

The mottled patina, when seen as a whole, gives it just the right amount of urban. You can criticize a 10' section of the reveal but overall it looks great.

Just about done, and I gotta say I'm not loving it.

I feel like the white window framing really diminishes the building. I feel like something darker/more consistent/less contrast-y would have made for a better composition. Something like Aqua in Chicago. Related, if the balconies/floor reveals were all painted bright white (also like Aqua), that too would have helped the building pop.

Quote Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
    Just about done, and I gotta say I'm not loving it.

[/IMG]
    That about sums it up: I am liking the outcome - "but not loving it". The whole project seems to have over promised; and under delivered. Too much hype, and architectural renderings that look way cooler than the 'as built' reality.

Agreed, those smaller inset aluminum window frames cheapen the look of the entire building .

Well Roldan, since you mention it, making those smaller window mullions white looks a bit 'off'.. And since we're doing a critique I can't help mentioning those concave exposed floor slabs. The curve looks nice enough when one focuses on it ; but overall it simply looks like value engineered 'exposed concrete floor slab' construction.

In the architectural renderings that curved feature looks great: but in the 'as built' reality it appears to be an insignificant - perhaps detracting - feature. I say that reservedly because I know creating the 'formwork' on the reinforced concrete was a painstaking, expensive and time consuming process.

^The concave floor slabs is a very minor nit (that seems to only bother you?), those windows however...
    I think they really need that "bean" at the bottom to help salvage this one.

Yup, it's the white window frames that betray the design the most..

I must agree with others. Very unimpressed. This really does not look like the rendering:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Chicago does this stuff much better than NYC. Does anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    I think your premise is way off. On average, Chicago's recent highrise stock is abysmal compared to NYC.

Aqua, in terms of urban form, is awful, with a parking base, driveways, blank walls, and the like. It has a very interesting look from some angles, but is hardly a typical Chicago highrise. And it's a rental tower/midpriced hotel. Not really comparable to 56 Leonard except on a very superficial "weird thing with balconies".

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    Daniel Burnham?

Welp, a good old black and white filter seems to help things

Your pic is marv but NOTHING (except replacement) will help those horrible framed windows.
    They just look (whether true or not) extremely cheap.

Very disappointing after the excitement of the original rendering. Those windows are craptacular!

Even in this rather spiffy video from a few years ago (sorry if it's been posted before), they don't look good. Seems to be a deliberate visual effect. (Bean squishing is cool, though .)