Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proposed Expansion of SoHo Cast Iron Historic District

Clearly someone with an agenda is enlisting The Post to fly this anti-Landmarking flag.

I hope that something is built on the site of this eyesore gas station. I almost burst a gasket when I read that the huge wangs at the LPC, who sit by idly while gems are razed because they don't deem them unique, wanted to preserve this eyesore.

It wasn't their intention to preserve the gas station itself, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I hope that something is built on the site of this eyesore gas station.
    It's already in development.

I almost burst a gasket when I read that the huge wangs at the LPC, who sit by idly while gems are razed because they don't deem them unique, wanted to preserve this eyesore.
    The gas station isn't preserved. The site is within the boundaries of an historic district. Whatever is built has to be reviewed by LPC. Just like this site. The new building can be modern; it just has to fit into the district.

NY Post hates landmarking.
    NY Post loves cars.

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't been through this area in a while. Is the BP still open or has it closed?

With respect to gas stations, I did walk by the old Lukoil on Hudson Street recently and was pleased to see that it has not yet re-opened and hopefully, never will.

Obviously I didn't say it (more than once) with enough authority .

BP is still open and filled to the gills with cabs gassing up. They now use swanky Bond Street for shift changes (since the nearby stretch of Lafayette where they used to trade drivers is still a construction mess with the work at the big MTA Broadway / Lafayette Station). When that BP closes it will totally change the availability of taxis in the immediate area.

Thanks for the info, Lofter.

I've always felt the gas station should be turned into a public plaza. Lord knows Soho doesn't have enough open space. And that area is such a crossroads for people it would certainly be used a lot.

I completely agree, but it will never happen.

It's privately owned, and valuable. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
    I've always felt the gas station should be turned into a public plaza. Lord knows Soho doesn't have enough open space. And that area is such a crossroads for people it would certainly be used a lot.

Is there a more recent / accurate version of the expansion map that article is referring to? According to the one above from 2006, that corner of Lafayette and Houston St. (top right corner of map) doesn't appear to be affected. It's on the block just east of the existing boundary and there's no blue shading there.

http://g.co/maps/r6w7r

That map is wrong or outdated. The boundary is Layfayette from E Houston to Spring.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/download...ohodextmap.pdf

From Fill-'Er-Up to Flagship at Houston & Lafayette

by Dave Hogarty

A group of real estate, marketing, and architecture professionals have banded together to seek out a tenant to transform the lot at the entrance to Soho—Houston and Lafayette across from the Puck Building—into the site of a flagship store. LargaVista is the developer and the assembler of a slick package selling the lot and its potential to become the site for a building that's not just a box to do business in, but a structure that is integrated into a company's brand identity; think Apple and its eponymous stores. There's a video on the consortium's site that's rather heavy on the CGI, time lapse photography, and marketbabble—"The walls of retail are changing. Give your brand a new dimension"—but gives some ideas for what potential the site holds.

Houston + Lafayette [houstonlafayette.com]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0..._lafayette.php

Does that proposal cover the site of the entire BP station?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12