Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Park Slope

I am amazed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    What can you tell us about this, Zippy?
    It's on Fiske Pl, which cuts through the block from Carroll to Garfield.

It's not a vine growing out of the sidewalk; it's a tree in the front yard. Several branches arch over the sidewalk. I don't think there is any support.

I don't know what kind of tree it is.

It's probably illegal, so I hope some city bureaucrat doesn't whack his head and start a fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I don't know what kind of tree it is.
    Weeping cherry?

Often has this growth pattern, though I've never seen it so picturesquely applied.

What a wonderful looking neighbourhood.

Can you pinpoint the area for me?
    Is it within easy walking distance of the Bbrookly Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by tdp View Post
    Can you pinpoint the area for me?
    Map here: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...en-us%26sa%3DN

Is it within easy walking distance of the Bbrookly Bridge?
    Only if you're a vigorous and enthusiastic walker. It has numerous subway stops, however. Good ones: 7th Avenue on either the F Line or the B/Q (Bergen Street on 2/3).

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Only if you're a vigorous and enthusiastic walker.
    Thanks Ablarc - Enthusiastic - yes, but vigorous... not so much!
    A few of the folks travelling with me are first time visitors and might not thank me for dragging them a good few miles to sample a 'nice neighbourhood'!!
    I will save it for a future visit (there will ALWAYS be a future visit!)

Darn the lack of time!!

Hey - apologies for my spelling of Brooklyn (not sure what was going on there!)

Brooklyn Heights is a very nice neighborhood, and it's immediately across the Brooklyn Bridge. If your guests are reluctant walkers, keep in mind that the bridge is over a mile long. Also, if your guests are reluctant walkers, they might want to sing a new tune before coming here for a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    Also, if your guests are reluctant walkers, they might want to sing a new tune before coming here for a visit.
    My youngest daugther and I have walked the bridge before (wife & eldest daughther turned tail for the shops at South Street Seaport at about half distance), so I know what to expect.

Not sure about singing a new tune though??

Absolutely wonderful pictures Zippy.

I cannot wait to stay in this neighborhood when I visit again in July!

Zippy...what a wonderful bunch of photos! This neighborhood is as beautiful as just about any I have ever seen.
    People should see this neighborhood and similar ones in Brooklyn, many people outside of New York don't even know such neighborhoods exist there. Whenever friends arrive from out of town, I coax them into a visit to Brooklyn, any one of its gorgeous neighborhoods like Park Slope, Ft. Green, Brooklyn Heights, etc, there are so many.
    These photos will be an inspiration, I'm sure, for many visitors to put it on their itinerary if it wasn't already. A walk up Flatbush, with some meandering onto the sidestreets and adjacent neighborhoods, makes a very pleasant afternoon.
    I also highly recommend Fort Green, a neighborhood that's worth a visit for travelers desiring to get off the typical tourist track. Some amazing streets like South Portland and surrounding blocks, with stately brownstones and rows of huge trees.

Fort Greene is on the to-do list, MG. Maybe a walk from the Manhattan Bridge. I wonder if the little park at the end of the bridge walkway is complete.

Banned Member

Ablarc,

The tree in the picture is a weeping cherry. That's Carroll Street between 8th Ave & 7th Ave. That tree is huge and grows up and out of a small patch outside of a brownstone. It forms a canopy on both sidewalks at the corner and everyone seems to respect the tree and not pull on its branches. For film buffs, the final scene of Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" was film on this corner. (I live around the block).

NOW I remember it!! I remember you pointing the corner (brownstone steps by the grocery store) out to me when we were walking around together. Very nice area.

Streetscapes | 869 President Street, Brooklyn

A Different Drummer of a House

By CHRISTOPHER GRAY
    Published: November 28, 2008

“Very peculiar,” said The Brooklyn Daily Eagle in 1885 about Stewart Woodford’s arresting red brick house at 869 President Street in Brooklyn.

Chester Higgins Jr./The New York Times
    ECCENTRIC MIX The red brick house at 869 President Street is known as the Woodford House after its first owner, Stewart L. Woodford.

Avery Architectural Library/Columbia University
    The house at 869 President Street in 1886.

King’s Notable New Yorkers/Office for Metropolitan History
    Stewart L. Woodford.

The house, with its wide, unadorned facade and assorted window styles, was unusual even in its day.

Indeed, a walker in Park Slope will not find anything else like it, with its plain red-brick facade and strange oriel windows. Now the longtime owners, Madelyn and Martin Schloss, have bought a house nearby, not because they are moving out of the Woodford residence, but because they want to renovate it and remain there.

In 1885, The Eagle reported a building boom in Park Slope, with high-end houses selling for $8,000 to $16,000, built in Queen Anne, “modern,” traditional brownstone, “French roof” (meaning mansard) and other styles.

One house attracted its attention: “Very peculiar” said the writer, “a very wide departure from ordinary forms.”

This was the house of Stewart L. Woodford, politician and diplomat, and the work of the young architect Henry Ogden Avery. Although then in his early 30s, he had already studied at the Cooper Union and had spent three years in an apprenticeship and then nearly seven years at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris.

To the 36-foot-wide facade, Mr. Avery did the unexpected: he made it as plain as possible, with simple round arched windows on the first floor, a pair of small projecting oriels on either side of the second, and three pairs of rectangular windows on the third.

The architect left most of the second-floor front unadorned, with a large empty space in the center pierced only by a small window. The oriels had slightly projecting rivet-head details, peculiar cockscomb-like trim on the tops, and strange angled poles supporting them from underneath — strange because builders had long since determined how to support such features without resorting to such devices.

The detail on the brickwork is slyly elegant: at the edges of the door and flanking windows, every other brick is set back at an angle. And the broad arches are made of wedged-shaped ribbed bricks. It is hard to think of anything else remotely like it in New York City. Mr. Avery died in 1890 and left little other work.

Mr. Woodford, a lawyer, served for years in various government capacities, among them military governor of Savannah, Ga., after the Civil War; lieutenant governor of the state of New York from 1867 to 1868; and minister to Spain from 1897 to 1898. But newspaper accounts leave a mixed version of his public service. In 1870, The Eagle said that, as lieutenant governor, he had diverted more than $5,000 to his firm; the paper reported that he had been indicted, but not the resolution of the case.

The Eagle also said that, while assistant United States attorney for the Southern District in the early 1860s, he had received $2,000 in an insurance scheme involving a slave-trading ship. The paper said that the office of his father-in-law, Henry Capen, was “the rendezvous of all the slave traders in New York.”

At the time, Mr. Woodford was running for governor, and the bitterness of The Eagle’s attacks may indicate partisanship. The New York Times called the attacks “baseless slander.”

In June 1897, President William McKinley appointed Woodford minister to Spain, but a year later Spain severed diplomatic relations and the United States declared war.

In the late 1920s, a new family moved in, that of Henry Mannix, a lawyer with White & Case. Whatever interiors Avery had designed were swept away by the Mannixes in a 1929 alteration for which a set of sketchy blueprints survive. They are signed by Henry Vollweiler and John Armendinger, who are little known but produced a remarkable array of rooms.

The entry door is an iron swirl depicting a pair of peacocks; the vestibule behind is paneled in mottled azure- and oatmeal-colored tile. The main hall has an Art Deco cornice, but the living room is more French Renaissance, with a strap-work ceiling, heavily modeled plaster walls and a terra-cotta fireplace. The library is at first glance wood-paneled, in impeccable repair — but it is faux-painted and varnished plaster.

Mr. and Mrs. Schloss bought the building in 1988, and a recent raft of leaks and the need for a new kitchen have brought on renovations. They should take a year or more to complete, and the couple found it cheaper to buy a house, on Sixth Avenue, instead of renting.

Mrs. Schloss, an ophthalmologist, recalls the time that she and her husband took a class with the historian Barry Lewis about New York City history. The first slide shocked them — “Hey, that’s our house!” they exclaimed.

Mr. Schloss said that brokers tell them that their remarkable interior is not a plus, but a drawback: “They say it’s too bad, people really want the dark brownstone-style interiors.”

E-mail: streetscapes@nytimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/re...ref=realestate

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast