Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now Disneyland comes to Dubai...

Default Now Disneyland comes to Dubai...

I came across this article and I thought it would make for an interesting read....

News Wire Agency Services

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (May 12, 2005) -- Dubai-based master planning agency Nakheel (DSE: NKHL) is secretly in talks with the Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DSNY) to build their fourth overseas theme park resort in the emirate of Dubai.

Plans call for a fourth Palm Island, of which Nakheel has already built one, with two under construction in varying phases, to house this one-of-a-kind Disney park -- globally acclaimed around the world.

But executives from both sides are hushed as they finalize talks and prepare for a spectacular media press launch.

"We cannot affirm anything at the moment, although we are still scouting locations around the world to spread the magic that Walt started almost 50 years ago," said Disney Resort Executive John Smith, referring to the recent celebrations for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary being held in their flagship Anaheim, Calif. park.

Disney's fourth overseas park -- with one outside Tokyo, Japan; one near Paris, France; a third one to open later this year near Hong Kong, China; and a rumored one outside New Delhi, India -- will feature a "Best of the Best" Disney attractions from around the world.

"We are very proud to add to our roster of large-scale acheivement and this will most likely crown our creative prowess," said a Nakheel executive on conditions of anonymity.

The new Palm Island will be built off the coast of Dubai's Jumeirah Beach right off of the coast where the World Islands -- 300 islands forming the shape of the planet -- are currently being reclaimed.

It will be the smallest island in terms of size and volume but will feature most of Disney's most-loved attractions such as "Indiana Jones Adventure," "Space Mountain," and "It's a Small World."

So if this project actually gets the go ahead, it would be located on a 4th Palm Island (which would be the smallest one built, to date) off the Dubai coast!

The "?" mark on the map below indicates the proposed position of The Palm Disneyland Resort.

The ego of this place is sickening. I thought it was cool at first but it's starting to annoy me. So tacky and so unnatural.

AGREED! I do NOT want to see city after city turn into a Las Vegas, where today's tackiness must be made "better" every 5-10 years so another of-the-moment design can take its place. Too bad Vegas' economic model is a profitable one.

Right by the question mark there looks to be a strip of land that looks like Mickey, maybe this will be Disneys island.

The islands make no sense what so ever, you cannot notice or appreciate their shape of scale at ground level and there is no reason for them, as you can see in the photo Dubai is almost entirely desert, practical would be expanding there first.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by I LOVE THE SOCCER
    Very interesting.
    ...BUT STUPID!

Sorry, I can't resist when it comes to Artie Johnson.

I've just found out that this entire project, ie, the whole Palm Disney Island thing, was a completely made up, fake project.

It was someones idea of a joke and for that I appologise.

Some interesting comments have been made about Dubai's cost line which I find interesting.

Here are some images of the coastline of Dubai. They should make for an interesting discussion...

A recent satellite image of Dubai. Dubai Creek and 2 of the 3 Palm Islands are clearly visible along with dredging works at The World)

An artists impression of the coastline in a few years time, which includes The Dubai Waterfront project seen in the foreground)

The coast line's sole purpose is to hype up the developing city, because when you are actually on foot, you cant tell that the island looks like a tree, or the world, maybe hwne you fly over the Islands it will look cool from the plane as i believe Stern said. It is only for hyping things up and making more developement room. And as we can see, it is working wonders, when there is a lot of hype around something, rumors are born, as was this one about Disney in Dubai.

But with a disney land or not, i still want to visit Dubai!

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbster
    But with a disney land or not, i still want to visit Dubai!
    well u r more than welcome to. If am still aroud I will be happy to play tour guide. Just avoid June - August....

the 100F+ heat is something even i can never get used to, even though central airconditioning is used all over the city, and I mean all over.

Well that whole Disneyland thing may not be a distant dream.....

Look at what I stumbled upon....

India waits for date with Disneyland, but Walt Disney keen on retail

There’s no immediate plan to set up a Disneyland in India, says Rajat Jain, MD, Walt Disney India

NIVEDITA MOOKERJI
    Posted online: Monday, May 16, 2005 at 0054 hours IST

NEW DELHI, MAY 15: India could lose out to Singapore, China or Dubai in getting the next Disneyland in Asia. But, The Walt Disney Company has significant plans for India, once FDI is allowed in the retail sector. Walt Disney, which has partnerships with international retail chains like Wal-Mart, Tesco and Carrefour, is keen to have a strong consumer products business in India. FDI in the retail sector will make this possible through organized retailing.

Even as the recent visit of Walt Disney chief executive Michael D Eisner was seen as a step to finalise the theme park project in the country, it is learnt that India may not have a Disneyland in the next five to ten years. Instead, the US-based media and entertainment major, with $31-billion revenues, is exploring other markets like Singapore, China and Dubai for setting up Disneyland, industry sources indicated. For the next destination in Asia, Singapore and Dubai score high as both have good infrastructure and attract huge number of tourists. China is attractive for its population and the booming consumer market.

Walt Disney Policies When contacted, Walt Disney (India) managing director Rajat Jain told FE: “There’s no immediate plan to set up a Disneyland in India. Right now in India, our focus is on television.” Mr Jain, however, declined to comment on the other locations where Disneyland could come up after Hong Kong, which is the fifth in the world besides two in the US and one each in Paris and Tokyo. “We are looking forward to the Hong Kong opening in September. As this would be the closest to India, it would give Indians an exposure to Disneyland,” he said. For the next destination in Asia, Singapore and Dubai score high as both have good infrastructure and attract huge number of tourists.

The company looks at the entire region (not just the country) and the expected returns from there, while setting up a Disney theme park, as the investment is high at $3-3.5 billion, sources said. In India, there’s perhaps a mismatch between the investment needed for Disneyland, infrastructure of the country and expected returns from the project, they pointed out.

On consumer products business, Mr Jain said: “Going by our international experience, modern organized retail should give a positive impetus to the Disney consumer business in India.” He added that Walt Disney is excited about India considering FDI in the retail sector. FDI in the sector is likely to result in significant improvement in organised retailing in India.

source: http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_f...ntent_id=91031

Now what do u make of this?

As far as the palm islands go, there is a legitimate purpose to their shape. The palm fronds maximize the coast line of the island, allowing a huge amount of beach-front property to be built on the island.

As far as the "World" goes though, that's just tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Face81
    well u r more than welcome to. If am still aroud I will be happy to play tour guide. Just avoid June - August....

the 100F+ heat is something even i can never get used to, even though central airconditioning is used all over the city, and I mean all over.
    Maybe, i just have to make a lot of money before i consider it, which implies getting a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius
    As far as the "World" goes though, that's just tacky.
    tacky, yes.... but they are selling..... i guess when u have that sort of money lying around, owning your very own island is an inticing offer, tacky or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbster
    Maybe, i just have to make a lot of money before i consider it, which implies getting a job.
    nah.... it shouldnt cost too much from your end I reckon. You now have emirates airline flying out of JFK and i'm sure they can offeer you good rates.

you implied something bout not having a job.. r u a student then?

I am an MSc. student in London myself, but I currently have a fantastic internship at a UK based engineering consultancy firm here in Dubai for the summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast