Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset Park Development

Default Sunset Park Development

The area bounded by 65th street, Greenwood Cemetery, NY Harbor, and 8th Ave. But I will be stretching the boundary to 9th Ave. I think of it as Sunset Park, but some refer to it as Boro Park. I didn't walk past 9th Ave though.

Project #1:
    58th Street between 6th and 7th
    Permit says 4 floors, I forget the # of units.
    It's rising brick by brick but it doesn't look promising.

Project #2:
    58th street between 7th and 8th
    4 floors
    Definitely sticks out, the building itself is ok.

Project #3:
    7th Ave between 57th and 58th. I didn't see a permit on the site but according to that article in the Daily News it's rising 7 floors/28 units. I have to dig it up, I'll edit this.

Project #4:
    7th ave at 50th street, SW corner.
    No, this is not the same as the above picture lol. Permit says 6 floors, 29 units, as you can see. Still a hole.

Project #5:
    625 49th street (between 6th/7th)
    5 floors/5 units
    This is the famed one from Brownstoner and the Daily News. It really does rise well above the rest, but it's actually better than most in this nabe. It's ok.

Project #6:
    6th ave at 46th(I think)
    What to say about this one. It's the worst thing ever done in this boro. Exaggeration? I don't think so. It's a one story addition to an exisiting building. The brick is all off, it's got Fedders, can you imagine living on the 3rd floor with the construction going on. I just have to say WTF, a huge WTF. The developer of this of should immdediately be blacklisted. Notice the empty narrow lot next door too.

Project #7:
    40th between 7th and 8th
    6 floors
    Inspired by a commenter on Brownstoner I checked this block out. The person said it's ugly, but the block is unique. There's tiny 1 story shacks lol. This building in particular isn't bad.

Project #8:
    40th between 7th and 8th
    3 floors
    This one is very bad. I hate the new ones with the separate entries. Bensonhurst has a ton of these.

Project #9
    40th between 8th and 9th
    This one is rising brick by brick, going up to 5 floors. Hard to tell it's quality now, I'll let it complete itself before I criticize.

Plenty more where this came from!!!!!! (10 pic limit)
    Last edited by sfenn1117; August 20th, 2005 at 11:27 PM.

Daily News Article from earlier this month:

Tall buildings, big problems

Sunset Park: size matters Chronicling the effects the hot housing market
    is having on people's lives. Third of five parts.

BY LORE CROGHAN
    DAILY NEWS BUSINESS WRITER

On one block, the row houses line up in neat rectangles of alternating yellow or chocolate brick, with lace curtains peeking through glass-paneled doors. On another, most of the century-old brownstones have benches out front - inviting people to visit with their neighbors.

Along side street after side street, it's got the polished look of some fancy neighborhood - but it's Brooklyn's immigrant melting pot, Sunset Park.

But a threat looms for this historic neighborhood, and proud homeowners are rallying to oppose it.

Construction fences are sprouting up in the neighborhood. What's taking shape behind them will be too tall or too bulky for their liking, and probably covered with rows of Fedders air-conditioners, like many new residential buildings in other Brooklyn nabes.

"It takes away from the beauty of the blocks," argued Fred Xuereb, 57, a retired Department of Buses supervisor, Community Board 7 member and nearly life-long resident of Sunset Park.

He collected almost 1,000 signatures on a petition demanding a zoning change to stop this type of development in the southern end of the neighborhood, from 55th St. down to the border of Bay Ridge.

"People are fighting the 'Fedders buildings,'" said Jeremy Laufer, district manager of Community Board 7, in whose territory Sunset Park sits.

In response to their petition, the board passed a unanimous resolution in June urging the City Planning Commission to consider the downzoning they want. And their City Council rep, Sara Gonzalez, supports them. She has met with the planning commission and the council's land-use committee, and she's working with a community task force.

Out-of-scale development - which riddles blocks of single- and two-family homes with bigger multi-family construction - is a consequence of the red-hot housing market. It threatens residential sections of Staten Island, the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn.

The construction of bigger buildings among the row houses drives neighborhoods toward overcrowding that could strain public services and infrastructure, residents said.

And they fear it threatens to undercut the value of existing homes, which partly depends on an area's character and quality of life.

Other places have fought this type of development. Now it's Sunset Park's turn.

Downzoning has taken effect in neighboring Park Slope and Bay Ridge, making Sunset Park the next square on the checkerboard for oversized home-building.

"It seems everyone is jumping into it," said Johnny Chan, who's developing a five-story, five-apartment building at 625 49th St., on a block of two-story houses. Chan makes no apologies about his desire to build.

On Seventh Avenue, between 58th and 59th streets - where the buildings are three or four stories tall - work is under way on a seven-story building with 28 apartments and a day-care center, according to city Buildings Department records. At 415 36th St., a five-story, 12-unit condo building is rising next door to two-story row houses.

Residents who took good care of their homes when Sunset Park wasn't a hot area are seeing property values appreciate - and want them to stay high.

"They don't want anyone else to mess things up," said broker Jesus Benitez of ERA Real Estate Professionals.

Two-family houses that sold for $100,000 to $125,000 three years ago now command more than $600,000, he said. They can even fetch more than $700,000 if newly renovated. Some of the demand is coming from buyers who can't afford Park Slope's $2.5 million to $3.5 million townhouses.

Many Sunset Park homeowners fear development will overburden their neighborhood, which they say already is crowded.

The lower schools are packed, and it's one of the only places in town without a public high school, said Laufer of Community Board 7. Though the population's growing, the police force has been cut back and a firehouse has been closed. Streets that are in bad shape will suffer added wear and tear if over-development proliferates, residents said.

But some are taking action to block that from happening.

Joseph DeTommaso, an 80-year-old retiree, signed the petition calling for downzoning, and collected signatures from other residents of 62nd St., between Second and Third avenues.

DeTommaso makes a point of looking after the block where he's lived for 52 years. He gave his neighbors American flags after 9/11, and many are still flying them. He goes out with a broom and bucket to tidy up before the street-sweeping machine comes. He warns mothers to guard their children from cars and trucks that come barreling down the otherwise charming, tree-lined street. "We need to protect the neighborhood," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    For photos also provided vt sfenn1117 see this thread-

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7074

Does the fenn in sfenn have anything to do with Fenway Park in Boston?
    no way....yankees fan all the way
    Last edited by sfenn1117; March 12th, 2007 at 01:32 AM.

Forum Veteran

Steve... you've taken my place as construction walker. Many props(z).

The last one looks like it could be alright in a muted art deco throwback kinda way. The second to last... are you sure that's new? It looks like at least early 90s, maybe 80s.

Forum Veteran

Last one I think is

814 40th Street
    6 floors, 59
    10 units
    Architect: Architectural Designs, PC

Ok and here's another one on the same block

828 40th Street
    4 floors
    7 units
    Architect: Robinson Architects

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    Oh... I am a Red Sox fan so I was just wondering. Your going to Vermont, so you should be one soon. Your freezing ears and wet neck warmers will wake you up and make you go... I hate the Yankees!
    I'm the biggest Yankees fan you'll ever find

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    Steve... you've taken my place as construction walker. Many props(z).

The last one looks like it could be alright in a muted art deco throwback kinda way. The second to last... are you sure that's new? It looks like at least early 90s, maybe 80s.
    You may be right, I've never walked this block before. There's a few in Bay Ridge that are very similar and are recent. Thanks for looking up the other projects.

There's about 10 or 12 more projects I need to put in here and then about 60 in a new Bay Ridge photo thread. Hopefully by the end of today.

Great job, I look foward to seeing them!

Ok and here's another one on the same block

828 40th Street
    4 floors
    7 units
    Architect: Robinson Architects
    Right where I left off lol.......

Project #10
    828 40th street
    4 floors/7 units
    Nothing special......while I was taking the photo a guy asked me if I was looking for a condo lol.

Project #11
    40th between 8th and 9th
    3 floors
    This one may be older but it can't be too old. It's terrible.

Project #12
    49th between 7th and 8th
    3 floors
    In the heart of Brooklyn Chinatown, this building is decked out with chinese ornamentation. Definitely not my style.

Project #13
    49th between 8th and 9th
    6 floors
    This went up a couple years ago, I can deal with it.

Base...........

Project #14
    50th between 8th and 9th
    3 floors
    Not so great

Project #15
    50th between 8th and 9th
    4 floors
    This one is nice

Project #16
    50th between 8th and 9th (Across the street from 14/15)
    4 floors
    Just awful. Give me some kind of design.

Project #17
    Somewhere in the 50s between 8th and 9th (53rd?) I lost track
    6 floors
    A step above acceptable. Like the curved balconies.

Project #18
    Across the street from 17
    Empty lot with a "sold" sign
    What will it be?

Projects #19/20
    Along 8th ave in the 50s (53-54th?)
    3 story filler buildings.
    These are terrible

Project #21
    55th I believe between 8th and 9th
    3 stories
    Terrible roof and facade. Notice the skylights.

Project #22
    55th I think between 8th and 9th
    5 stories
    Chinese building, kind of bland. It's roof is fenced I think it might have a daycare or something.

Project #23
    57th (I'm positive, it's on the building) between 8th and 9th
    7 floors
    It's not so bad. Really dominates the area, even buildings on the avenues are only 3-4 stories.

Project #24
    57th between 8th and 9th
    Construction site adjacent to #23. Permit says 5 floors, I forget the units, I think it said 10. I think some of the windows may be blocked out next door.

Project #25
    59th or 60th between 8th and 9th
    4 floors
    Another chinese building, this one decked out with cell phone whatevers. Notice the graffiti already lol.

Project #26
    64th/8th
    6 floors
    An old factory building converted to office space (A sign says office pace for rent) right next to the subway stop for the N.

Project #27
    Across the street, 8th ave/64th street
    No permits, just a huge construction site. I don't think it'll be residential, it might be something for Maimonides Hospital.

That's it for now......I'll try to dig up an article I read on a development on 26th street near Greenwood......a new building by Scarano will block the view of the statue of Minerva waving to the Statue of Liberty. Of course the community is in an uproar!

Forum Veteran

I think that's been resolved and the vista will stay.

Projects #11 and #14 look definitely at least 10 years old. Not that it makes them any better.

No offense to any Chinese, but if you look at all the buildings constructed by Chinese developers and/or Chinese architects, you will find the vast majority of them are abysmal. There seems to be no consideration whatsoever of aesthetics in the development process.

Project #15 isn't great but I like how it at least gradualized the change of streetwall.

Projects #11 and #14 look definitely at least 10 years old. Not that it makes them any better.
    I think you're right about #11, but sadly, #14 was done a few years ago.

No offense to any Chinese, but if you look at all the buildings constructed by Chinese developers and/or Chinese architects, you will find the vast majority of them are abysmal. There seems to be no consideration whatsoever of aesthetics in the development process.
    Can't argue there. Thankfully not all the new construction is chinese. Probably about half, and only along and near 8th.

NY Daily News
    May 23, 2006

Our Liberty belle gets a reprieve

By MELISSA GRACE

The wave may be saved.

The city is opposing a move by a Brooklyn developer of a seven-story condo that locals fear will block the famed salute between Green-Wood Cemetery's statue of Minerva and the Statue of Liberty.

After a review found "serious zoning violations" in the design by controversial architect Robert Scarano, the Department of Buildings said it may revoke a permit for the project at 614 Seventh Ave.

"They're going to have to start from scratch," predicted Aaron Brashear, of the Concerned Citizens of Greenwood Heights which has protested the building.

Without the permit, developer Chaim Nussencweig could be permanently barred from building the 30,000 square foot tower as planned - which Scarano redesigned last fall to keep the view after community uproar.

Residents charged Scarano's latest condo redesign still blocks the famous salute.

"It's a peephole," said Brashear, who charged the new plan offered only a sliver of the current view.

Scarano is under investigation for possible zoning and building code abuses.

Despite the highly-critical tone of DOB's May 9 letter - including a list of 20 irregularities - Nussencweig's lawyer expects the project will be approved.

"The Building Department reviewed it once and found it valid," said Howard Hornstein.

"Hopefully, they'll review it a second time and find it valid."

Buildings officials conceded the redesign permit should never have been approved because of the violations.

"The permit was improperly issued," said DOB spokeswoman Ilyse Fink said.

If DOB does reject the redesign permit, Nussencweig can appeal or revise his plans, officials said.

© 2006 Daily News, L.P.

Updated On 09/16/08 at 02:17PM

Brokers target creative types for Sunset Park workspaces

Industry City corridor

By Gabby Warshawer

A firm is pitching Dumbo-style workspaces in Sunset Park, hoping to draw creative professionals to the industrial section of the Brooklyn neighborhood.

Commercial brokerage CRES NYC is representing 11 fully renovated workspaces in Sunset Park's Industry City, a sprawling industrial complex on 36th Street near the waterfront. The spaces range from 812 square feet to 2,598 square feet and asking rents average $16 a foot.

Rents for similar spaces in Dumbo go for about $28 a foot, according to CRES NYC chief executive Chris Havens.

"About eight years ago Dumbo started to become a commercial area," Havens said. "We're delivering renovated, operational space, just like Two Trees does in Dumbo."

The 11 spaces -- more will eventually hit the market -- are in a six-million-square-foot complex owned by Industry City Associates, a partnership that includes Bruce Federman and the Schron and Fruchthandler families. The landlords have already turned thousands of square feet in the property into studio space for artists.

Default One Sunset Park

April 7, 2009

One Sunset Park

Bed-Stuy might crash and burn. Sheepshead Bay might sink. And Long Island City might lose it. But Sunset Park is still blazing.

This might be a slight exaggeration. But at the very least, one new building in this Brooklyn neighborhood is plugging along.

The building is One Sunset Park, which after five months on the market has sold enough of its units for the sponsors to request that the Attorney General's office declare its offering plan effective. In fact, we're told that the building is already 50 percent sold.

One might wonder how this building, being sold by Halstead Property Development Marketing, has more or less survived.

If nothing else, One Sunset Park will show just how much you can get if you're willing to offer up a sacrifice on the altar of location. The six-story 54-unit prewar conversion has 562-square-foot studios that start at $300,000 (which, for those who do not have calculator in hand, works out to $533 per square foot) -- and 1,114-square-foot two-bedrooms for $585,000 (which is even less at $525!).

Plus, the finishes sound pretty good: Brazilian cherry-wood floors, Jenn-Air kitchens, Bosch washer/dryers and Kohler sinks and soaking tub. There's also a landscaped garden, fitness center, bike room and storage. Plus, One Sunset Park has the other amenity many buildings in crappy locations have: a great view of the city. -- Max Gross

http://blogs.nypost.com/re/archives/...se_sunset.html

Green Depot

Selldorf designs sustainable recycling facility in Brooklyn

Matt Chaban

Annabelle Selldorf is designing a rather uncharacteristic building in Brooklyn,
    though the designer believes the recycling center is a natural fit for her practice.

New York architect Annabelle Selldorf is known for stylish Soho apartments and restrained Chelsea galleries, but her latest project is quite the departure, and not simply because it’s located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Her firm, Selldorf Architects, has designed a recycling center for Sims Metal Management, a 24-hour facility that will process 600 tons of recyclables each day from the five boroughs.

Designing an industrial building is unusual enough, but the architects were also working within a relatively tight budget of $89 million. That meant the center would have to be built using pre-engineered structures, limiting the flexibility of the design. Yet Selldorf’s team found the challenge every bit as engaging as a high-end loft or a Hamptons villa.

“In a funny way, it’s not that different,” Selldorf said during a telephone interview from Europe, where she is working on a gallery. “People tend to think we do very elaborate, refined work, but the issues really are the same, respecting the program and the budget."

A site plan for the project shows the difficult choreography in creating circulation for the competing needs of a facility that is both industrial and educational.
    (click to zoom)

Tom Outerbridge, general manager for Sims’ municipal recycling division, said the company wanted a marquee facility because of its prominence on the water— it is located on a pier at the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal, adjacent to 30th Street—and its importance to the city’s sustainability efforts. Sims selected Selldorf Architects because of what Outerbridge characterized as the firm’s “classic” aesthetic. “There were a lot of very interesting ideas, but how’s that going to play 20 years from now?”

Outerbridge said. “Selldorf’s approach is very simple and clean.”

Through a number of subtle yet creative maneuvers, the designers were able to achieve a unique, almost customized appearance for the project without straying far from the basic units they had been given to work with.

“As far as the buildings go, we want to express the function of the buildings and let the forms speak for themselves,” said Sara Lopergolo, the principal-in-charge at Selldorf. “We edit selectively and push the detailing where we can.”

Organizing the 11.5-acre site was a challenge, since barges bring in most of the recyclables—with trucks serving parts of Brooklyn and Queens—while the processed materials are removed by trucks and, eventually, rail cars.

The solution was a series of linked structures that begin with the so-called tipping building, where trucks and barges bring in materials under a roof that extends from the upland side out over the water. The processing building interlocks with the tipping building and links to a bale building, where recyclables are stored for removal. An adjacent administrative and educational building is connected to the main facility by a third-floor skybridge.

Most recyclables will be brought in by barge and deposited in the tipping building,
    a simple pre-engineered building that has had its structure exposed,
    one of many decisions made by selldorf to create a unique look.

To add character to the structures, designers peeled back the walls of the tipping building to expose the structure within, which was painted a glossy black. The same corrugated metal panels are used on the processing and baling buildings, but the ripples run vertically on the former and horizontally on the latter, communicating that the buildings have separate functions. The administrative building mirrors a 4-foot concrete band around the base of the main building, and uses the same corrugated metal above, along with translucent fiberglass panels.

Encircling all this is 3.5 acres of green space. This serves a practical purpose, because Sims hopes to expand operations at the facility some day on a plot east of the processing building. But Sims and the city, mindful of the symbolism of the recycling center, are also striving for a sustainable operation. Thus, hardy native plants will be used to help retain stormwater. “Basically, we’ve created a park and carved out a space for recycling,” Lopergolo said.

Sims also felt strongly about incorporating solar power into the project. To accommodate the rooftop panels, designers realized that by using 70-foot columns on the upland side of the tipping building, compared to the 50-foot columns on the water side, they could achieve the necessary pitch on the 6,000-square-foot roof for an ample solar array. The inclusion of a windmill is also under study, and there has even been talk of using goats to maintain lawns instead of mowers.

A sky bridge connects the processing building with the administrative building,
    so students may view the recycling processing without getting in the way.
    The canted roof of the tipping building accommodates a solar array.

Because the project is located on public land, it is subject to review by the Public Design Commission, which gave preliminary approval on February 1. Commissioners were impressed by how much care had been put into what could have been a standard industrial building. “The design is very elegant and restrained,” Guy Nordenson, an engineer who serves on the commission, wrote in an email. “That is testimony to Selldorf and her team’s design and detailing skill and also to the city’s strong support for design excellence across the board.”

Selldorf admits the project was a big step for her firm, particularly in these difficult times for the design industry. “We’ve always tried to do a wide range of projects, but this is really important to me,” she said. “Like anyone, we struggle, but I would have wanted this job under any circumstances because of what it means for the city.”

http://archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4290

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast