Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Galerie 515 Hotel & Condominium Residences - 511 Ninth Avenue - by Costas Kondylis

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Default Galerie 515 Hotel & Condominium Residences - 511 Ninth Avenue - by Costas Kondylis

Twelve-story condo to replace Supreme Macaroni

21-NOV-06

Plans have been filed with the city to redevelop the Supreme Macaroni Company building at 511 Ninth Avenue between 38th and 39th Streets with a 12-story residential condominium building with 96 units.

Costas Kondylis is the architect and 511 9th LLC, a partnership headed by Solly Assa, is the developer. A building that was part of the development site had recently been sold in an all-cash transaction valued at about $2,500,000, according to Massey Knakal Realty Services.

The home of Supreme Macaroni was a three-story, twenty-five foot wide mixed-use building and the pasta maker had a retail store on the ground floor at the back of which was a “secret” restaurant that was very popular for several decades with people who wanted a step up from the six-foot-long heros served on the other side of the avenue at Manganaro’s.

The property is in a C1-7A zoning district, which carries a FAR of 6.02 and has an additional 15,000 buildable square feet, according to David Kalish of Massey Knakal who represented the seller in the deal which took place at $167 per buildable square foot. The purchaser was represented by DeMarzo Realty.

The area has considerable traffic generated by the nearby Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Bus Terminal and the Lincoln Tunnel as well as the Garment Center and the Theater District. The renaissance of Times Square and the recent development boom along West 42nd Street, however, have significantly changed the demographics of the neighborhood.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY.COM INC

Supreme Macaroni site will have hotel as well as apartments

22-NOV-06

The 12-story building planned by 511 9th LLC, a partnership headed by Solly Assa, for the former site of the Supreme Macaroni Company at 511 Ninth Avenue between 38th and 39th Streets will have not only 96 residential condominium apartments as reported by CityRealty.com yesterday based on plans have been filed with the city, but also a “luxury boutique 90-key hotel” and a “a high-end restaurant.”

Costas Kondylis is the architect.

A building that was part of the development site had recently been sold in an all-cash transaction valued at about $2,500,000, according to Massey Knakal Realty Services.

The home of Supreme Macaroni was a three-story, twenty-five foot wide mixed-use building and the pasta maker had a retail store on the ground floor at the back of which was a “secret” restaurant that was very popular for several decades with people who wanted a step up from the six-foot-long heros served on the other side of the avenue at Manganaro’s.

The property is in a C1-7A zoning district, which carries a FAR of 6.02 and has an additional 15,000 buildable square feet, according to David Kalish of Massey Knakal who represented the seller in the deal which took place at $167 per buildable square foot.

The purchaser was represented by Morris Harary of Mehar Holdings, according to Robert Lebenseld, vice president of Assa Properties/JS Industrial Group, the developer.

Mr. Lebenseld told CityRealty.com today that the address of the new project will be 515 Ninth Avenue and he provided CityRealty.com with a rendering of the project, shown at the left.

The area has considerable traffic generated by the nearby Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Bus Terminal and the Lincoln Tunnel as well as the Garment Center and the Theater District. The renaissance of Times Square and the recent development boom along West 42nd Street, however, have significantly changed the demographics of the neighborhood.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY.COM INC

Oh, good ... room for another Duane Reade

^ Thankfully not this time.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    The 12-story building planned by 511 9th LLC, a partnership headed by Solly Assa, for the former site of the Supreme Macaroni Company at 511 Ninth Avenue between 38th and 39th Streets will have not only 96 residential condominium apartments as reported by CityRealty.com yesterday based on plans have been filed with the city, but also a “luxury boutique 90-key hotel” and a “a high-end restaurant.”

Here's the site from high above, looking west.

The Supreme Macaroni building is the little three-story red brick building within the outline.

One block to your left in that picture (part of the corner is visible and dirt covered) is the Hudson Mews development site, so as you can see, these two projects are very close to each other.

Wink Nice site-photo, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Supreme Macaroni site will have hotel as well as apartments
    Costas Kondylis is the architect. CITY REALTY.COM INC[/I]
    He will design a great building: if he given the opportunity to do so. Costas Kondylis (imho) is a way under-rated architect.

excerpt from article:
    Mr. Kondylis said his conscience is clear: While he has made some concessions to developers along the way, he has never sold out.
    “Sometimes we have battles,” he said. “Some I win, and some I lose, and some I come out O.K. I can’t think of one building I never want to associate my name with. I push the project to the limit until I feel I’m losing a client. We can’t afford to lose a client.
    Last edited by infoshare; February 7th, 2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: add link

Please...He's had like 80 opportunities and only a handful are decent. He enjoys being a developer's biotch.

Talking Excerpt from article

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Please...He's had like 80 opportunities and only a handful are decent. He enjoys being a developer's biotch.

Mr. Kondylis said his conscience is clear...........

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Wink

Well somebody has to bottom for McSam...

Question Excavation has stopped

No work has been done since 12/6, except for one of the Caterpillar machines was swapped out for a new one on 12/10.

I live directly across the street from the site, and I overslept this morning when no jackhammers overpowered my earplugs

Supreme Macaroni Building is a cooler name.

We are neighbors -I've lived by Esposito's pork shop on 38th for over 22 years....I thought it had gotten a tad quieter lately, but with over 9 construction projects within 3 blocks it's hard to tell
    Supreme Macaroni Building is a cooler name
    That place was great- it's loss was a blow to the hood.
    The new "Galleria" hotel/condo is a poor replacement and, another
    ugly low rise building the area does not need!

Default Out of context

Hey neighbor! I've lived on the block for 28 years, when I moved in there was a row of 3-storey buildings filling the block opposite me.

I hate that the Galerie won't relate to anything else in the area. The Hudson Crossing and 360W43rd buildings, while out of scale, at least echo some of the period detail in the rest of the neighborhood.

At least Kondylis isn't using those gawdawful tail-fins on this building like the ones hanging off the Atelier and the Platinum.

Default Stop work order

I guess the adjacent building on 39th Street was showing some cracks due to lack of underpinning, the order has been partially rescinded to allow them to make repairs.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Ov...key=0000967030

Did anyone realize that the Name "Hell's Kitchen" came from a building (and riot) on this block of 39th st?
    There are only like 4 left standing....think it's one of them?
    As of today 1/30/08

Last edited by scumonkey; February 14th, 2008 at 08:22 PM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast