Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chelsea Modern - 447 West 18th Street - Condo - Chelsea - by Audrey Matlock

Default Chelsea Modern - 447 West 18th Street - Condo - Chelsea - by Audrey Matlock

447 West 18th Street

Thelive/work concept in loft living was an early hallmark of residentiallife in Soho and Tribeca. But as the art world moved north to WestChelsea, new apartments and conversions have tended to be configured asconventional living space. We were pleased to read in the Timesrecently that this 12-story condo planned near 10th Avenue in Chelseawill have four ground-floor duplex units that will double as live/workspaces, with sky-lit galleries below grade meant for production anddisplay of art. Units will also have sliding walls to allow flexibleopen plans. The design by architect Audrey Matlock will have a curtainwall with horizontal bands of glass set at irregular angles, giving itthe kind of striking abstract form we tend to like. The project,developed by Madison Equities, will have 47 units in all, includingone, two and three-bedroom apartments. Occupancy is expected in Marchof 2007. The area is about to see a dramatic transformation, with FrankGehry's IAC headquarters just two blocks away, and major residentialprojects planned along the coming High-Line park. To see more of AudreyMatlock's work visit her site linked below.

Posted by Triple Mint | Permalink

Default Chelsea Modern - First Thoughts

Posted on UrbanDigs.com

Chelsea Modern - First Thoughts

Chelsea Modern has just opened their sales office to the public. The building is located at 447 West 18th Street and is scheduled for completion in spring of 2008 (plan for late summer 2008 just to be safe!). The building is 12 stories with 47 units - 3 have sold and 3 are in contract, so buyers getting in now are still getting in on the ground floor. The building will have a unique, gorgeous facade of undulating glass windows, combining art and sculpture. The windows are also functional - they open horizontally, allowing airflow on all sides. The building is eligible for a 421a tax abatement.

There are only 5 apts per floor on the lower floors and only 2 apartments per floor on the higher floors. What I loved about the apartments is that they have scrimped on NOTHING. As you may have noticed from my post earlier this week, many developers seem to be cutting out details in order to save on construction costs, but Chelsea Modern has spared no expense.
    The kitchens have SubZero, Viking, and Miele appliances rolling wine cabinets and a recycling center integrated into the cabinetry. There are double sinks in the baths - even in the one bedrooms, shower stalls and soaking tubs (next to a huge window... Great for exhibitionists!).
    They also have towel bars and toilet paper holders, fog-free mirrors, huge vanities with more than enough storage space for a couple, and there is a built-in alcove in the shower for shampoo bottles. There is a washer/dryer in each residence (not just a hook-up for one!).
    These finer details are not as expensive you might think.

872 - 915 sq foot one bedrooms (only 7!) range from $1M to $1.2M (approx. $1,150 a sq ft, which is not bad at all for new construction)

Two bedrooms of approximately 1300 sq feet start at $1.6M ($1,230 / sq ft)

Two bed, 2.5 bath units of approximately 1,400 sq ft start at approx $1.9M ($1,350 / sq ft).
    Eight penthouse three bed, three baths with triple exposures for around $3.5M for 1887 - 1,979 sq ft (these come at a premium! Approx $1,850/sq ft! YOWZERS !). But many have balconies, private terraces, and roof decks (not sure you really need all this outdoor space considering the Highline is going to be down the block, but if you love to entertain, this building is for you!)

The ground floor has one bedroom, two bath duplexes (perfect for an art-collector) with 240 sq foot gardens (approx $2.225M)
    The developer tried to keep common charges down by keeping what I would consider near useless amenities out of the picture. No dog runs, pet spas, putting greens, co-ed jacuzzis, or the like. There's a doorman, fitness center with steam room, outdoor lounge garden and lawn with reflecting pool, fountain, and rock garden, and a landscaped roof deck lounge, bike room, cold storage (it is just east of 10th avenue, so buyers will probably be in need of Fresh Direct), package room and storage space (for purchase).
    Overall, I give this new development two thumbs up for quality, but I just don't love the location. There are sooo many new developments in Chelsea (555 W 23rd, Onyx Chelsea, Chelsea Stratus, Chelsea House, Sky House Condos, 520 West Chelsea, Loft 25, and probably another 5 that I'm forgetting to mention) that I wonder how these units are all going to sell!

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Default More Chelsea new devs

I wouldn't call Sky House Chelsea . .. but you're forgetting Highline 519, which I kind of dig, and Slate, and Prime on 14th Street, and of course our $$$ friend 100 Eleventh Avenue, the new Jean Nouvel building.

ali r.
    [downtown broker}

looks like there haven't been many sales, only 4 units in contract. does anyone have any updates on the building?

Quote Originally Posted by boy66 View Post
    looks like there haven't been many sales, only 4 units in contract. does anyone have any updates on the building?
    Only four sales? I remember going to the sales office in March and I don't remember any mention of slow sales.

I agree with the OP, the location is what turned me away.

i kind of liked the location, close to meet packing and chelsea and highline. nice finishes too. i see you posted for the stratus as well, do you like that better?

Quote Originally Posted by boy66 View Post
    i kind of liked the location, close to meet packing and chelsea and highline. nice finishes too. i see you posted for the stratus as well, do you like that better?
    In terms of location, I don't think there's much comparison. Stratus is on 6th ave, 1 block from a subway station.

I seem to recall walking by some projects on the way from the modern to 8th ave for the subway. Nothing wrong with the projects, but given the choice, I'd prefer a better location.

Quote Originally Posted by nyrealestate View Post
    In terms of location, I don't think there's much comparison. Stratus is on 6th ave, 1 block from a subway station.

I seem to recall walking by some projects on the way from the modern to 8th ave for the subway. Nothing wrong with the projects, but given the choice, I'd prefer a better location.
    I like the building, and I have seen the show room, its very impressive, but the problem is that you have to walk pretty far away from the subway plus the low-income housing takes up most of the block

Chelsea Modern Gets Ziggy With The Glass
    CURBED
    Friday, February 15, 2008
    by Pete

In an example of living up to the rendering, the new blue glass going up on
    the ziggety-zag facade of the Chelsea Modern looks as sharp as can be.
    Conceived by the gang from Audrey Matlock, this one cuts across the west
    side rooftops out on the far edge of West 18th Street. And when the clouds
    clear away the colors here melt right into the sky above.

Blue on blue on blue.

This corner of West Chelsea, MePa and the High Line is busy with all sorts of
    new construction. Just to the west of the Modern at 459 West 18th a
    "severe" new condo from architects Della Valle Bernheimer is rising. Somebody
    else is digging a big hole just around the corner. Across Tenth Avenue, a full
    undeveloped block with the High Line cutting right through the middle is just
    sitting there, waiting for some dashing developer with buckets of cash.

The Chelsea Modern and its new 12-story neighbor rising at 459 West 18th.

· Build Now [Audrey Matlock website]
    · Four Five Nine West Eighteenth [459west18th.com]
    · Project: 459 W. 18th [Della Valle Bernheimer website]

The Dude Abides

Not bad. The pixillation effect created by the windows is slightly reminiscent of BLUE.

Chelsea Modern and 459 W18th

Plastic sheets are draped over the windows, so the glass looks fugly.

That blank wall is a problem.

459 W 18th gets a facade.

The Dude Abides

Looks sharp.

Indeed.

It looks nice, seems like a good project.

I wonder how the sales are?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast