Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 524 West 19th Street - Metal Shutter Houses - by Shigeru Ban

Default 524 West 19th Street - Metal Shutter Houses - by Shigeru Ban

Last edited by BrooklynRider; November 3rd, 2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Add Building Name & Formal Address

The little white building (524 W19th) between 520 West Chelsea and IAC has been demolished.

Waiting to see what Shigeru Ban puts up behind the Bamboo Curtain.

There's a website, Metal Shutter Houses, but no info.

DOB Shows New Building Application(s) for 524 - 526 West 19th Street:

Partially Approved: 9.05.07
    Stories: 11
    Dwellings: 9
    Height: 120'
    Gross SF: 33,183
    Lot Size: 50' x 92'

Shigeru Ban designed the Nomadic Museum which was set up on Pier 54 in 2005 ...

Putting final touches on the Nomadic Museum. "I guess it's some sort of minimalism," a dock builder said.

^ Was cool while it was there. It moved on to San Francisco the last time I checked. Wouldn't be a terrible idea for a container museum to quit its nomadism and settle down in the area...

Banned Member

That was a cathedral. So peaceful inside.

Yep ^^^

524 West 19th ...

Shutters in West Chelsea Let Condos Open Wide

NY TIMES
    JULIE V. IOVINE
    September 20, 2007

ARCHITECTURE

Shigeru Ban, the Paris-based Japanese architect, seems to favor architecture that provides a raw experience. Two years ago, New Yorkers lined up to hike through shipping containers he stacked on a Hudson River pier as a mobile art cathedral for Gregory Colbert’s majestic animal photography. And who can forget his Tokyo apartment with its exterior walls made of flapping white curtains?

Now Mr. Ban has returned to Manhattan’s West Side with a design for a condominium on 19th Street near 11th Avenue that can be thrown open entirely to the elements. The Metal Shutter Houses are nine duplex apartments (ranging in size from a 1,950-square-foot three-bedroom to a 3,180-square-foot four-bedroom penthouse with three terraces, encased in perforated metal shutters that operate exactly like the rolling grates of the Chelsea galleries and Korean delis that inspired them.

Duplex owners will be able to mechanically adjust their own shutters, and inside each apartment, a 20-foot window wall will pivot open, left, getting these few Manhattanites as close to California living as they might possibly dream of being. That feeling will no doubt be reinforced by Frank Gehry’s IAC headquarters just feet away on the lot next door. The Metal Shutter Houses, at 524 West 19th Street, are scheduled for completion in fall 2008.

(C) NY TIMES

The showroom for Metal Shutter Houses has not yet opened but they are making their presence known over on West 19th Street ...

^very cool fencing. what a great way to attract buzz.

Banned Member

Wow! I love it. Rather simple and yet so innovative.

^It will be fun to watch the tower in all different forms, from a beautiful summer evening all open to a raging blizzard all bunkered down. This street is setting up to be incredible.

I don't really get this project. Obviously the metal shudders will be up in the spring and summer, but what as sfenn mentioned during a blizzard or cold weather (7 months of the year) or when it’s raining, or whenever its not 70 degrees and partly cloudy. Won’t people have to put up these metal shudders and subsequently get totally blocked out from the outside world? I’m all for light and transparency as I’ve made my opinions known about a million times on the NYTIMES thread. I could never rent an apartment with out sufficient light and air, infact renting an apartment without a window is illegal, I could be wrong but these residents will be without adequate light and air for a good part of the year. I don’t get the project because if I had the option of metal shudders I would never put them down, subsequently losing a large part of living space, or you could compromise more space for no view whatsoever, the only reason metal shudders exist elsewhere in the first place is for security reasons which isn’t a concern here. Glass Shutter Houses would have on the other hand been a great idea. Sometimes I wish certain architects wouldn’t try to be innovative for the sake of being innovative, this is most definitely one of those instances.

It's not either/or but both/and.

From the article quoted above:
    "Duplex owners will be able to mechanically adjust their own shutters, and inside each apartment, a 20-foot window wall will pivot open. . ."
    Handy in fierce windstorms, the shutters will also help you connect with your inner-Queens-small-business-entrepreneur, as well as handily protect your castle during the three months you're at your Tuscany Villa, and -of course- catching up with Fabrizio.

On the right the fenestration is vaguely apparent through the shutters, which may in fact be a type of architectural mesh. There may even be an insect screen component to the shutters. Don't underestimate Ban.

SHUTTER TO THINK

By KATHERINE DYKSTRA

METAL-WORTHY: Metal Shutter House
    living rooms, capable of opening on both
    sides, have radiant heat flooring.

November 1, 2007 -- When your new boutique condo project is surrounded by serious starchitecture, including buildings by Frank Gehry, Annabelle Selldorf and Jean Nouvel, how do you make it stand out? Easy. Hire an architect who's used to thinking out of the box - and then let him.
    That was the idea behind commissioning Japan's Shigeru Ban to design the nine-unit, 11-story building on far West 19th Street now known as Metal Shutter Houses. He used as inspiration the garage-style doors seen on many a nearby Chelsea art gallery.

"The industrial buildings in the area have metal shutters," says Ban. "I tried to use something contextual, multifunctional."

Mechanized metal shutters, made of horizontal perforated slats, make up much of the building's fa‡ade. When the shutter is closed, the resident is able to see out, but the city cannot see in. Press a button and the shutter rolls up into the ceiling, not unlike a garage door, though with considerably more finesse. Behind the shutters, the terrace is separated from double-height living rooms by windows, which are also motorized and able to fold up into the living room, making the exterior and interior one.

Klemens Gasser, the developer of the project along with Spiritos Properties (collectively known as HEEA Development), initially purchased the property in 1998 to house an art gallery. At the time, far West 19th Street was almost completely industrial, not to mention more or less deserted.

But in the intervening years, it has evolved into one of the most architecturally avant-garde blocks in the city, with the Gehry-designed IAC Headquarters, Selldorf's 520 W. Chelsea and Nouvel's 100 11th Ave. In addition, Tamarkin Co. is designing and developing an 11-story condo with 22 duplexes on the corner of 19th Street and 10th Avenue. The design includes four penthouses that will reside in a wavy structure that tops a rectangular base. The lesson being, edgy architecture begets edgy architecture.

"If I had to choose between doing something on the Upper East Side or in Chelsea, I'd choose Chelsea because of the interesting context," says Ban, who admits to having another project in the works in New York but is reticent to reveal its whereabouts. We can assume it's not on the Upper East Side.

Metal Shutter House units include four three-bedroom, 1,950-square-foot duplexes with terraces; four 2,700-square-foot four-bedroom duplexes with terraces; and one four-bedroom duplex penthouse measuring 3,319 square feet with 1,963 square feet of outdoor space, which includes a private roof deck.

Units start at $3.6 million, or about $1,850 a square foot; pricey when compared with other projects in the area: 459 W. 18th St., a Delle Valle building, is averaging $1,338 a square foot, and 520 W. Chelsea is seeing $1,600 a foot and up.

And while the penthouse at 520 W. Chelsea sold for almost $9 million, "a record for that area," says Shaun Osher, president of CORE Group Marketing, which is selling the building. Though it might not hold the record for long. The penthouse at Metal Shutter Houses is on the market for $10.5 million.

"We've already had great interest in the penthouse," says sales director Madeline Hult of Corcoran Sunshine Marketing. "Two people in the last couple days."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11012007...ink_232942.htm

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast