Thread: Pictures of the 'Old Madison Square Garden' on 8th ave between 49th and 50th st.

Default Pictures of the 'Old Madison Square Garden' on 8th ave between 49th and 50th st.

I would like to share some pictures I have of the old Madison Square Garden which was located on 8th ave. between 49th and 50th st. which presently is the site of the Worldwide Plaza building.
    Possibly some may share in this type of nostalgia...

That famous marquee

The old Garden under construction in 1925

The very last event (Feb.1968)... (dog show) Notice that the Old Garden is promoting the first basketball games at the new Garden.

Inside the old Garden after the last event there took place

The old Garden (1930's)

The Knicks hosting the Boston Celtics (late 1940's)

The Knicks hosting the Boston Celtics (late 1940's)

The Knicks hosting the Philadelphia Warriors in 1959

Minneapolis Lakers George Mikan admiring his name on the Marquee

A picture from the 8th ave side of the court

Knicks Johnny Green blocks a shot by Wilt Chamberlain in the 1959-1960 season

The Knicks hosting the Detroit Pistons in 1967. Note Dave Debusschere wearing a Piston uniform just before getting traded to the Knicks in 1968.

Great photos. That marquee is sweet. Thanks for posting.

I'm glad you enjoyed them...

Talking Great to find this site and pictures of the old MSG!

Just found this thread for the first time thanks to someone linking to this on Facebook. It's a very important thread as it showed what the old MSG looked like when it closed for good in February 1968 (including having the Nedicks at the entrance.

While many hated the move of MSG to the Penn Station site, in retrospect, the old MSG was rapidly becoming obsolete by 1968 and had it not moved to its current location, it would have had to have been greatly expanded, most likely from 48th-51st Streets across 8th and 9th Avenues to keep it modern (and also likely built with an additional floor or two added so luxury boxes could be included to keep it from being doomed, even as a modern facilty by the 2000s when luxury boxes dictated buildings and made some like the old Charlotte Coliseum and Miami Arena that only opened in 1988 in both cases obsolete quickly with both having since been torn down).

It's amazing how the current MSG has actually been around longer than the old one, and with the new renovations will remain the oldest active building in use by the NHL for some time to come and eventually will be the oldest building in use by the NBA (once the Warriors move out of The Arena in Oakland that opened in 1967 to a new building in the Bay Area in a few years).

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    This constant replacing of sports stadiums is a huge drain on taxpayers' resources.
    In many cases today, it could, but in other cases, the upgrades are needed. The business side of sports is MUCH bigger than it was in the heyday of the old MSG, and the fact is, the sports teams do generate a lot of revenue for cities and states and often are a factor in bringing business to cities that otherwise would not be there.

I was actually quite surprise they chose to renovate the current MSG rather than build a new one. That should keep it going another 10-15 years, however, there is only so much you can do and it will need to be replaced eventually. Some have suggested building a new MSG on 9th-10th Avenues from 28th-30th Streets (or about the size of what the old MSG would have had to become to survive)
    with the current MSG being then built back into a slightly smaller version of the old Penn Station (but one that CAN have towers on top of it unlike the old Penn Station which doomed it), keeping the existing 2 Penn Plaza and entrances at 32nd and 34th Streets on 7th Avenue.

Last edited by Walt Gekko; March 30th, 2013 at 05:49 AM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

This constant replacing of sports stadiums is a huge drain on taxpayers' resources.

Very true, but in the Garden's case I believe it was all private money. Could be wrong though......

I saw my first Rangers game at the old Garden in 1967.
    Last edited by Don31; March 26th, 2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo

I'm curious as to when the old MSG was actually demolished. There were a good number of stores there still in operation at the time the old Garden actually closed in February 1968, and I would think given there were no prospects for other than a parking lot (that it actually would become until Worldwide Plaza was built on the site in 1986-'88), they would have stayed open for a bit before the building was torn down.

Edited to add:

In many cases today, it could, but in other cases, the upgrades are needed. The business side of sports is MUCH bigger than it was in the heyday of the old MSG, and the fact is, the sports teams do generate a lot of revenue for cities and states and often are a factor in bringing business to cities that otherwise would not be there.

I was actually quite surprise they chose to renovate the current MSG rather than build a new one. That should keep it going another 10-15 years, however, there is only so much you can do and it will need to be replaced eventually. Some have suggested building a new MSG on 9th-10th Avenues from 28th-30th Streets (or about the size of what the old MSG would have had to become to survive)
    with the current MSG being then built back into a slightly smaller version of the old Penn Station (but one that CAN have towers on top of it unlike the old Penn Station which doomed it), keeping the existing 2 Penn Plaza and entrances at 32nd and 34th Streets on 7th Avenue.

Last edited by Walt Gekko; March 30th, 2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Adding reply to earlier post