Thread: Bronx Late 80s Early 90s Photos

Default Bronx Late 80s Early 90s Photos

I know someone posted a thread about this link before - I'm not sure if it was at Wired New York (many grateful thanks to whoever you were, anyway), but I think it's well worth doing again wherever it was (particularly post WNY crash)...the photos are nothing short of stunning, a stark reminder of how it really was (is?) for some. *Some of these buildings are just crying out for nothing more than a bit of TLC. *God, what did they all look like when they were first built...stunning??

The period the photos were taken was (mostly) between 1980 and 1993 - I'd give an arm and a leg to see matching photos of what it's like in 2002.

http://www.cc.columbia.edu/imaging/h...o-browser.html

I've just recently bought two new books, both of photography in the South Bronx.

1. In the South Bronx of America, Mel Rosenthal

Very moving document of the South Bronx and its residents between 1975 and 1983, mostly around where the Bathgate Industrial Park now stands.

2. South Bronx (Images of America), Bill Twomey

A very different, more historical (nostalgic?) view, in the same vein as the wonderful Lloyd Ultan/Gary Hermalyn series of books about The Bronx and Stephen Samtur's The Bronx: Lost, Found, and Remembered 1935-1975

Default Re: Bronx 80s Early 90s

Quote Originally Posted by Kris

That is a tight-azz photo site. Thanks for posting it.
    Last edited by Kris; September 30th, 2008 at 09:34 PM.

New photos by Dave Beckerman:

This was taken from the overpass near the end of 161st street. Just off to the left, out of frame, is a tiny little community garden. And in the center of the frame, is just a bit of the abandoned Bronx Courthouse on 3rd Ave.

Bronx Borough Courthouse. Sneakers: Supposedly the sign of drug dealers, but who knows what they mean anymore..

Two Churches. This was taken from the overpass near the end of 161st street.

http://www.davebeckerman.com/1636/index.html

Bronx Borough Courthouse

I now also have South Bronx Rising, Jill Jonnes. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like a comprehensive account of "the rise, fall and resurrection" of the South Bronx. I was very saddened and quite shocked by two photos of Faile Street at East 165th Street in Hunts Point, one view in the 1920s depicting a tree-lined street of very handsome row houses, replaced in 1984 by a treeless, garbage-strewn street of abandoned, barely recognisable buildings with windows and doors sealed with concrete blocks.

God, I hope it didn't get worse after 1984 and that those once wonderful examples of rowhouses were saved. Does anyone know the fate of this part of Faile Street (north of Bruckner Expressway)?