Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pier 45 - Hudson River Park

Default Pier 45 - Hudson River Park

Hudson River Park's Pier 45 on 29 May 2000.

Hudson River Park's Pier 45 on 12 January 2003.

From November 2002 New York Times article:

... Robert P. Balachandran faces a different challenge. Mr. Balachandran is president of the Hudson River Park Trust, created by state legislation in 1998 to design, construct and maintain a 550-acre five-mile park along the Hudson from Battery Park to 59th Street. The "parkland" includes 13 public piers and 400 acres of land under water.

"Our challenge is to complete a $400 million capital-construction program," Mr. Balachandran said. Half that money has already been appropriated by the state, and as it is spent, it will add to the recreational facilities available in the area.

In the spring, a segment of the park is to open from Horatio Street to Clarkson Street, a distance of six-tenths of a mile. Three rebuilt piers Nos. 45, 46 and 51 will offer a children's playground, a playing field with artificial turf, a half-acre lawn with natural grass and a continuous waterfront esplanade. In the upland area between West Street and the piers, a width of 200 feet in some places, there are to be gardens, benches, lawns and a comfort station.

Forum Veteran

Default Pier 45

Ahhh, Hudson River Park. *Should be nice. *I wish they ould get going on all the waterfront plans already - A lot in Brooklyn and in the city. *Also in Queens and SI. *Not really sure about the BX, though. *It's been too long since NYers could enjoy the water and the open spaces it offers. *Plus, it's such a great economic boost - anything on the water in any NYC borough will be a success.

Default Pier 45

That is a nice plan. Its about time they started cleaning up those piers.

Default Pier 45

Hudson River Park's Pier 45 on 28 June 2003, 3 years after the first picture of the tread was taken.

Forum Veteran

Default Pier 45

Wonderful to see that it's taking off so well.

...400 acres underwater? *Pardon my ignorance, but how can one actually use underwater parkland?

Forum Veteran

Default Pier 45

My mom looked and said "Ooh, wow."

Default Pier 45

That's an awesome photograph there of the sunbathers at the park Edward. *I must compliment you on the fact that you often follow up on buildings and development by taking pictures at various points in time from the same angle. *Awesome job man.

Forum Veteran

Default Pier 45

I guess it can be used for docking, or fishing, etc. *Would've been cool if they expanded out into the water a little bit, but the park is a huge success and it is quite beautiful.

Default Pier 45

Edward, what is really funny is you took a picture of me. *I am wearing a green shirt and sitting in a group of four people right at the very front of this picture (just left of center). *I remember someone taking this picture yesterday but since we have never met... I think I remember what you look like. *Funny

Default Pier 45

Yes. You're pretty hidden though.

Quote: from Gulcrapek on 10:46 pm on June 28, 2003
    My mom looked and said "Ooh, wow."
    "All that flesh!"

Default Pier 45

Yeah my wife is sitting right in front of me. *I think Edward was wearing a cap on his head and had on large khaki shorts.

Default Pier 45

Great Pictures Edward! I like your recent picture of the pier yesterday. I'm actually sitting there in the blue shirt with Zoe. *I have been a reader of Wired NY for sometime now mainly thanks to Zoe, but as of today I am officially registered.

Default Pier 45

That IS funny. *That's when you know that you are taking a lot of pictures. Or is it that the forum has a lot of members? Anyway, nice to (kind of) meet you, Zoe and seafeel. Although is was not me in a cap and khaki shorts, I was on a bike and in a blue tank top. Now, who was the guy in a cap and khaki shorts?

Default Pier 45

Hudson River Park's Pier 45 and Perry West condominiums, with Empire State Building in the background. 8 July 2003.

Default Pier 45

They look fantastic. I wonder whether the third building will reinforce or compromise their "gateway" appearance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast