Pier 57 is located to the south of the golf range of Chelsea Piers (Pier 59). On the left, construction continues on Time Warner Center. 22 September 2002.
The original Pier 57, used by the Grace Lines, burned in 1947. The replacement was built between 1950 and 1954 at a cost of $12 million using techniques developed during World War II. Three concrete caissons - two of them 33 ft. deep and one 26 ft. deep - were built in Haverstraw, N.Y., and floated downriver to serve as foundations of the pier. Although the caissons rest on the river bottom, 90 percent of the pier's weight is supported by buoyancy.