Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: One Beacon Court a.k.a. Bloomberg Tower - 151 East 58th @ Lexington - by Cesar Pelli

Default One Beacon Court a.k.a. Bloomberg Tower - 151 East 58th @ Lexington - by Cesar Pelli

Bloomberg is supposed to build a 54 story glass skyscraper on the old Alexander's Department Store sight between 58-59 streets and 3rd Avenue to Lex. Designed by Cesar Pelli and his son Rafeal Pelli. It will rise nearly 870 feet in the air and is expected to be taller than Trump World Tower, which is the tallest residential building in the world. They were projected to move into the space in 2004, now who knows.

I have been told that the project has been put on hold because of some major design changes. These design changes are about building more floors to push the buildings height over Trump World Towers 881 feet

Default Bloomberg Tower (Alexander Tower)

I don't think the picture changed a lot since April (below).

The design is somewhat disappointing. I wonder how Cesar and Rafael collaborated on the scheme.

The site is exceptional. It deserves better.

Fabb, have you seen what the design is supposed to look like, if you have, can you put a picture up?????

(Edited by Derek2k3 at 9:53 pm on Jan. 30, 2002)

Thanks for trying Derek

If you go to the image location you can see them fine.

Does anybody know what its exact height is going to be, they said around 870 feet, i am not sure

Forum Veteran

From NEW YORK POST
    By LOIS WEISS
    February 13, 2002

Vornado Realty Trust's upgoing Bloomberg Building on the former Alexander's site at 731 Lexington Ave. will have stunning, sky-high apartments that will someday likely end up costing the residents over $1,500 a foot, far out of reach of most New Yorkers.

But not all New Yorkers will be left out in the cold.

A city program allows builders to turn one square foot of lower income housing into four square feet of bonus zoning for luxury housing. And if the original builder cannot use the bonus capacity on another site, it can than be sold to other developers for projects in the same neighborhood. The city calls this "inclusionary housing" as it is developed in the same area - though not necessarily in the same project.

According to the city's office of Housing Preservation and Development, Vornado has used this inclusionary program to create an extra 258,779 square feet for its own luxury residential use at the Bloomberg site.

This square footage has already been calculated into the building, but accounts for its ability to have these residences.

To get the square feet, Vornado developed one building and has purchased the bonus feet from two other projects in their community board, leaving the multiple homes for seniors in their wake.

Vornado bought and will use 97,372 square feet from the 53-unit senior project developed by RFR and Davis & Partners at 351 East 61st St. RFR still has another, approximately 100,000 square feet of development rights to sell or use itself.

Another 42,507 square feet was purchased from the project at 346-348 East 21st St. developed by BFC Partners.

The last 118,900 square feet is being obtained from the 41-unit project for the Met Council that Vornado is developing with Jeff Levine at 171 Lexington Ave. Another 36,400 square feet from that site will be transferred to other developments.

Mayor Mike's company has already leased 700,000 square feet in the base of the Bloomberg Building for its new offices and there is a retail base of about 275,000 square feet in which H&M has already leased 40,000 square feet. The total project is just over 1.3 million square feet. No surprise. There's no comment from Vornado even when they perform a mitzvah.

Vornado has used this inclusionary program to create an extra 258,779 square feet for its own luxury residential use
    ... so many hindrances to the construction of tall buildings.

By that I guess building a thousand footer in NY would be a feat !

hold up, i thought it was only going to be around 870 feet, I assume that is why they bought all that extra space so they dont have to build up. I have one question, the wonderful pictures that someone posted, will the top of this building be lit up????

Forum Veteran

Yeah, 868 ft, I would assume the top wouldn't be lit up, it's just a glass cage containing the water tower

I have been told that the project has been put on hold because of some major design changes. These*design changes are about building more floors to push the buildings height over Trump World Tower. Which is 881 feet tall.

(Edited by Rich Battista at 8:29 pm on Feb. 19, 2002)

thats exusable

(Edited by Stern at 3:00 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast