Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress of Temporary PATH Station in WTC 'Tub'

Default Progress of Temporary PATH Station in WTC 'Tub'

Default Progress of PATH station in WTC "tub"

thank you for the images.

so much for the footprints, if they weren't shown on the plan i'd have no idea where the towers used to stand.

Hats off to the PA for defying the Twin Towers-are-Deathtraps rhetoric of the mega-memorialists. It appears that the sacred ground theory is wearing thin even with the PA. Keep in mind that the Port Authority lost 75 of its top executives and police officers on 9-11. Let's hope it doesn't start inflaming the NIMBY's and their mega-memorialist allies.

(Edited by Agglomeration at 3:21 pm on Jan. 10, 2003)

Forum Veteran

I've noticed quite often that the mega-memorialists, in this particular case the families, are letting their personal sentiment get in the way of necessity. *They want a full-site memorial, sp they automatically start giving the PA the "shame on you" treatment for daring to say that the PATH station needs to be rebuilt. *And I'm sitting here thinking, "Then where else are they going to put it?"

I mean, I respect the wishes of many of the family members, but a lot of the time they're starting to tick me off. *Sometimes I've entertained the concept of spiting them by leaving 14 acres to a memorial and building a supertall tower on each footprint; see how they react...

Great pictures! * Yea, I agree TLOZ. *That is an awfully small group of people trying to direct the future of the "Greatset City in the World". *They have the sentiment with them, though, I just hope that more rational heads prevail.

jeez, you can't make everything "hallowed ground".

I got this from looking up the Daily News. Prepare to hurl your guts up:

Ship Out Port Authority
    NY Daily News - Letters to the Editor - January 3, 2003

Dear Editor:

Re "Port Authority's Downtown Scam" (Dec. 29):

Manhattan: I applaud your editorial on the Port Authority's outrageous behavior ("Port Authority's downtown scam," Dec. 29). I have a particular interest in the redevelopment of downtown, especially at Ground Zero. My husband, Rich, lost his life there.

I was not surprised to read that the PA has been "planning in secret." That is its modus operandi. Where are the governors of New York and New Jersey? Are they not responsible for overseeing the PA? I urge Gov. Pataki and Gov. Jim McGreevey to release this bistate agency from the land downtown and to seriously consider the deal exchanging the World Trade Center site for airport land. Put the PA back where it belongs - in bridges, tunnels and airports. It doesn't belong in the construction business, and certainly not in planning for this sacred ground.

Maximum rental space should not be the priority for downtown. The Port Authority, a bistate agency with immunity from building and fire codes, should no longer have a place there. De-claw the PA and send it on its way!

Monica Gabrielle
    Co-Chairperson
    Skyscraper Safety Campaign
    www.skyscrapersafety.org

More photos...

mmmm.....nice! *New construction of any type is a beautiful sight indeed!

Okay, while I am excited to see the PA being active and constructing their hub, I'm confused by two things. First, how can they possibly build it without knowing what will be built above it? I mean, what if significant skyscrapers are desired to go right above the hub? Wouldn't that need special foundations? Or are they declaring that any significant structures will go on the west side of the site?

And speaking of there even BEING *a west side, I'm assuming that's a road they're building through the site, visible in that great birds-eye photo. (I'm also assuming it's an elevated road, knowing the depth of the site. Are we soon going to be able to drive over that road?

I'm glad constuction is moving along well. Obviously, the sooner this is done, the sooner the region and it's economy can get back onto it's feet!

I think the PA should get out of the real estate business, and I'm for the land swap idea. The PA never fufilled it's original mission, from way back in the early 1920's. Anyone wanna guess what it is - it's still on the drawing board!

That's the 1&9 subway you see going through the site. *We shall see soon what the PA decides to do about Greenwich Street. *All indications point to them restoring it.

The PATH station is temporary. They mean to build the real one after the plans are set, but are too urgent for service to wait for that. I thought I read somewhere that they may wind up keeping it there, with minor revisions, if the plan they decide upon allows, but they are prepared to completely rebuild it.

The station *(tracks placement, etc.) is permanent. *What is being spoken of in the planning as being the "permanent" station is the transportation interchange leading to the tracks, the main concourses....the entrance under constuction now just off Church street is temporary.

Thanks NYguy. I was wondering how they were going to keep service going while building the permanent station, this explains.

Hello everyone.....Would love to view these photos....they no longer load on the page...

HELP!!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast