Page 1 of 107 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 130 Liberty St - Post 9/11 Demo - Deutsche Bank Building - by Shreve, Lamb and Harmon

Default 130 Liberty St - Post 9/11 Demo - Deutsche Bank Building - by Shreve, Lamb and Harmon

NY Post...

9/11 BANK BREAKS MOLD

By WILLIAM NEUMAN

March 20, 2003 -- The toxic mold that was considered a serious environmental threat in the damaged Deutsche Bank building has been removed, city officials said this week - potentially clearing the way for a decision on what will happen with the black-shrouded wreck that looms over Ground Zero.

"I wouldn't think the building would pose a health problem as far as mold . . . I didn't see any evidence of that," said Chris D'Andrea, a research scientist for the city Health Department who conducted a top-to-bottom inspection of the Liberty Street building on March 5.

The Deutsche Bank building was damaged in the 9/11 attack, when debris from the Twin Towers cut a 14-story gash in its north side. Rain and basement flooding led to a mold infestation, which local residents feared could spread to other buildings.

The bank has been fighting with its insurers over what to do with the empty hulk. The options are razing it, repairing it or selling it.

Forum Veteran

Default Toxic mold cleared from Deutsche Bank building

Raze that sucka! *That and the little buildings next to it (I think) would be perfect for 2, glass, mixed use towers - office and residential, and, maybe even the marriott so the WTC site would be less bogged down with requirements.

I doubt that they would raze it now, since they could simply repair it, and reoccupy. *On the other hand, a certification may not fully allay fears of potential tenants, so perhaps starting from scratch makes more economic sense...
    I am really surprised that they were able to clear the mold so easily, after all the articles that described how widespread and virulent the infestation was.

Something smells about this (more than toxic mold).

"I wouldn't think the building would pose a health problem as far as mold . . . I didn't see any evidence of that," said Chris D'Andrea, a research scientist for the city Health Department who conducted a top-to-bottom inspection of the Liberty Street building on March 5.
    Given the recent fiasco concerning the EPA claims about air
    quality around the site after 9/11, this weak statement is not going to be accepted.

I too am surprised at the speed of cleanup, but all this means is that the building can be unsealed (for whatever plan). It will probably still need to be competely gutted.

I also hope they take it down.

Libeskind planned to use that site for building #8 below....

This building will probably be transformed but not demolished.
    No matter what Libeskind plans for the site.

Notice how similar number 8 is in massing to 130 Liberty. Adding a sloped roof on top and a completely new facade would make it very, very similar.

You're right.
    What a coincidence !

#8 is really Libeskind's Tower #5. *Yes...the massing is approx. the same but raising Liberty 130 is best and that is what Deutsche Bank wants but is fighting with its Insurance firms. *If it can get the money, it will be razed. *Hopefully...that black box is UGLY!!!

(Edited by diVinci at 1:39 pm on Mar. 20, 2003)

Whatever happens to the building, it's doubtful that Deutsche Bank will move back in. They lost 1.8 million sq ft of space downtown at 130 Liberty and 4WTC.

Last year they purchased 60 Wall from JP Morgan Chase, which
    will become the new US headquarters (1.6 million sq ft).

Buildings are more than facades and this is an opportunity for real improvement. I doubt refurbished offices would be very desirable. I don't mind black boxes, but this one looks plain and cheap. And it's a prime site that should be taken advantage of.

Yea, they should really demolish that thing. *It is a pain 2 look at. *And, also, that building is sitting at the spot that Larry Silverstien would like 2 build a 1,500 foot tower... for a memorial mixed-use building. If the building was demolished, then it would raise/clear that ever luminous black cloud that hovers, and closes around DTown. *

Silverstein would like to build a 1500' tower there? Is this connected to the WTC or is it a separate project?

Silverstein's "Memorial Tower" concept has been obsoleted by the Libeskind Plan.

Seriously, would they really implode a building on that site? *Might it be too much of a reminder of 9/11?

Page 1 of 107 123451151101 ... LastLast