Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 529 West 29th Street

Default 529 West 29th Street

Just over halfway. I see them roll in a yellow temporary crane every few days to put new steel up. Indeed it's here today. I will just barely be able to see the top of this building over Penn South Houses when it is done. Thanks for the updates.

Interesting that this residential building is using steel frame.

It's a rarity. Maybe they lucked into a site that used bone-standard beam lengths that were just lying around somewhere and got them cheaply? I can't imagine why else they'd be using them.

They probably just "fell off a truck" somewhere.

I was so surprised by how big this had gotten. It was only 3 stories a month ago, but it seems that these steel mid-rise buildings go up very quickly. It was the same for the project on West 52nd (forget exact addy, but between 10th & 11th avenues) that went up totally unnoticed.

Even 250 West 55th only took ~six months to go from base to roof!

Quote Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
    ........t it seems that these steel mid-rise buildings go up very quickly. .......

Even 250 West 55th only took ~six months to go from base to roof!
    Yes, the structural steel vs poured concrete formwork type of construction method does 'seem' to go up faster; but, there are a lot of factors involved in why one building would 'go up' quicker than another.

That being said: the second photo here http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post426085 has the perfect photo for comparing what the two methods look like - structural steel in the background, concrete formwork in the foreground - prior to the erection of the curtain wall.

I had to "borrow" the CEO's office for this one.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Who would have thought you could ever could have gotten people to live over there?

Clearly smarter people than us. These guys are printing money while we slave away at whatever chump work we draw a paycheck from, eh?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

At this point in my life I'm working to maintain my health benefits but yes, I see your point.

Thankfully I'm young enough not to have the regrets of my parents (which is to say not having bought anything in NYC in the 80s when you couldn't give away an apartment above 86 on CPW). Everyone we know who did has since cashed out and is in Florida on a beach.

Given the construction boom all along the Hudson, I guess a lot of people want to "live over there" or as many uniformed people say, "allll the way over there".

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Who would have thought you could ever could have gotten people to live over there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast