Page 1 of 362 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Jersey City Rising

Default Jersey City Rising

I was just in the Wintergarden and I noticed how bad-ass Jersey City is starting to look. *Just a couple more *serious commercial skyscrapers and it would have a skyline that could rival most in the US, or North America for that matter (except for Chicago and NY, of course).

I know there's an old post about the status of projects in JC. *Would anyone like to revive it here? *I'd really like to know.

Here's one good site, to begin with: http://www.jcedc.org/

Hey. I was in New York last night, and I nocited how Jersey City's Skyline is really growing. *Growing up there, even before the Newport Tower was built really makes me amazed at how much this skyline has transformed. *I am dissapointed at reports that they have scaled down the height of the Goldman Sachs Tower. *Orignally it was planned to be 876 ft. *Now some are saying it is topped out around 791 ft. *This is BULL. *We need more taller buildings in Jersey City. *Does anybody know of anymore buildings planned for Jersey City??

Forum Veteran

Hopefully not. *JC building symbolizes Jersey continually leeching from NYC. *It's been going on for years and it makes me sick. *I guess there's nothing much to do. *Hopefully the city finally wakes up and makes Bkln, LIC and elsewhere in the 4 "other" boroughs more attractive. *We'll see.

1. *It makes sense to have a financial center on Jersey's side of the Hudson. *It is essential for the regional economy. *Like it or not, there's a large pool of wealthy financial services workers for whom JC is a much easier commute. *This cannot be ignored. *Even the planned transit improvements at the new WTC will only do so much, and they're years off (no NJ Transit, for one thing). *We need to keep these workers in the region. *They're human beings. *They will get fed up and take their tax dollars to Charlotte.

2. *This is America. *Competition is the foundation of our economy. *A thriving New Jersey waterfront with lower taxes forces NYC to get its act together and *ante-up. *This is a good thing for the region. *

3. *JC symbolizes that traditional "leeching" relationship you refer to being reversed. *The jobs are in Jersey now. *Some are even living in Manhattan and commuting to Jersey.

4. *Brooklyn and LIC have the disadvantage that they're on Long Island and therefore people have to get through NYC to get to them. *I'd like New Yorkers to stop thinking of the other side of the Hudson river as New Jersey and start thinking of it as the rest of the continent. *The river can be a formidable economic barrier. *NYC needs a good relationship with NJ for that reason. *New Jersey has the highest per-capita income in the nation and is the most densely-populated state in the union. *It cannot be ignored or belittled.

5. Yes, I'm from New Jersey.

(Edited by dbhstockton at 4:25 pm on Jan. 8, 2003)

(Edited by dbhstockton at 4:27 pm on Jan. 8, 2003)

Forum Veteran

A competetive NJ would be really good for the economy overall. *New York will be forced to, as Stockton said, ante-up to stay on the ball. *It's not like having some jobs in the suburbs is a bad thing; the *Chicago metropolitan has 60% of its commercial jobs in the suburbs, and it's still going strong.

Jersey City's CBD, however, lacks many of the amenities that Midtown, or even Downtown for that matter, already provide. *From what I hear there aren't as many restaurants or stores, and very little housing. *(I got this from the Post, BTW so don't flame me or anything if I'm dead wrong.)

Maybe Newark will get some newer, taller skyscrapers, also. *The Midatlantic-National building has been the tallest for over 70 years, and it's only 465 feet tall!

Maybe Newark doesn't have any new taller buildings because of Newark Airport. *(Which officially is in Elizabeth, NJ) *Jersey City has some new restaraunts along the river. *They now have a "Pizzaria Uno" right under the Harborside Financial building. *Plus, they have many new sushi places (too meet the needs of the yuppies.) *Newport Mall is there. *There are lots of stores. *The new housing is going up right behind the Goldman Sachs building, and the new Marbella apartments, which I believe is 40 floors. *I love Jersey City, but it will take a long time before it ever reaches the "skyline map"

More power to JC. If NYC's mayor does not want to capitulate, somebody has to fill in the voids. *Bloomberg said something yesterday about making NY a "first-class product", well *he better GET ON *IT, it seems that he dosen't want to spend money or make concessions to keep business firms around. *This is amazing to me! *Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Maybe he is playing hardball, but can he afford to?

Jersey City, like Brooklyn, has grown with New York from the very beginning as part of the regional powerhouse. You can't ignore its significance in helping to keep New York as America's premier city. They know their place, they aren't trying to take down New York, but it would be stupid if New Jersey didn't capitalize on the businesses that choose to leave New York. Thank goodness it's right there, right across the river.

This hatred for anything and everything about New Jersey is not only unfounded, but it alienates almost half the people in our own metro area who in the end are on our team. We need them and they need us. You may not know this by reading these skyscraper boards, but take it from someone who has lived in other parts of the country; New York City as well as New Jersey both have generally terrible reputations. It does us no good to promote that.

Forum Veteran

Everybody's entitled to their opinion. *All I know is Jersey is continually trying to use tax breaks and it's dirt cheap, worthless land to take things from NY. *They even tried to lure the NYSE! I'm not saying it's smart for them to do it, but as a die-hard NYer it irks me - plain and simple.

Yeah, they are a fairly wealthy state, so is CT. *Why? *B/c of NYC. *NJ is one big suburb - North to NYC and South to Philly. *So sure, NJ is densely populated - it's not a huge state and it's in a prime position between 2 real cities.

True, it is better to be there than in Oklahoma, or somewhere like that, but would as many people be in NJ if they weren't pushing so hard to take from NY?

It also says something about American companies - maufacturing goes to China, etc and why do we need to have an office in a prime location? It's all about EPS, baby! *NYC is 7th in the world for office cost, much less than 1/2 that of London, yet businesses still seem to run to London, Paris, etc. *I dunno, maybe it's just me.

C'mon Jersey lovers, tell me that I'm wrong and ignorant!!!

I think you just proved it.

Forum Veteran

I preoved what? *That people from Jersey love it so much that they actually consider it an extention on NY. *

Why shouldnt new jersey lure companies (or leech) from nyc city, it called competition, get over it...there nothing illegal, stop crying....NYC downtown has offered business tons a tax breaks and perks

Forum Veteran

Quote: from Jude1017 on 8:55 pm on Jan. 8, 2003
    Maybe Newark doesn't have any new taller buildings because of Newark Airport. *(Which officially is in Elizabeth, NJ) *Jersey City has some new restaraunts along the river. *They now have a "Pizzaria Uno" right under the Harborside Financial building. *Plus, they have many new sushi places (too meet the needs of the yuppies.) *Newport Mall is there. *There are lots of stores. *The new housing is going up right behind the Goldman Sachs building, and the new Marbella apartments, which I believe is 40 floors. *I love Jersey City, but it will take a long time before it ever reaches the "skyline map"
    Impressive. *And I mean that, as well. *But JC will still have a ways to go.

Isn't there also a 900-footer right across the Hudson from BPC, that's been on-hold for a while? *I heard about that in Skyscrapers.com, but I'm not completely sure about it; could you clarify this?

Heh, maybe JC can be a twin city to New York in a decade or so? *New York will still be the more prominent twin, but it would be an interesting concept.

Forum Veteran

As I said previously, I'm not saying that they SHOULDN'T leech, but as a NYer I said that I'm not a big fan of it.

Why are all you Jersey lovers so touchy? *You have a wonderful state, full of great things and great people.

I had to laugh when reading some of these posts. As someone who basically has lived many years in NYC. as well as many other parts of the world, I see NY/NJ as the same metro area. I can't believe there is all this discussion and distinction because of a river dividing 2 land masses!
    As I see it, I love JC and am glad to see things being spread out over Jersey (and I don't mean urban sprawl) as well as LIC, Brooklyn and wherever else in the NYC. metro. We all depend on eachother. JC downtown could pratically be another borough of NYC. it's as urban as anypart of the outer boroughs as well as just as nice!
    The rivers are dividing *lines between areas but this idea to fight over it and see things as "so different" on the other side just seems so provincial to me!
    The Goldman Sachs building is beautiful! Let's be happy it's been built on "our" metro area!

Page 1 of 362 123451151101 ... LastLast