Thread: The Seagram Building

Default The Seagram Building

A few photos I took last week:

Others

Wired New York Website

The City Review

Finally! Not bad.

The plaza is looking good.

A horse on Park Avenue in front of the Seagram Building.

DEBORAH BUTTERFIELD HORSES GRACE PARK AVENUE MALLS

The New York City Department of Parks & Recreation is pleased to announce an exhibition of sculpture by Deborah Butterfield on the Park Avenue Malls, from October 1, 2005 through January 29, 2006. The works, entitled Deep Time (2005), Cicada (2005), and Wilder (2005), will be exhibited between 52nd and 53rd Streets and 53rd and 54th Streets. The works evoke life-size horses, created from scrap metal and driftwood, each unique work cast in bronze. They will be placed on the grassy areas of the malls, against a backdrop of classic New York skyscrapers. The sculpture is presented upon the recommendation of the Sculpture Committee of the Fund for Park Avenue and in cooperation with Edward Thorp Gallery, New York.

Deborah Butterfield is an internationally renowned artist based in Montana who has been creating sculptures of horses since the mid-1970s. The artist transforms pieces of scrap metal and found wood into majestic horse sculptures that are what art historian Wayne L. Roosa describes as "like ancient noble archaeological remains, skeletal and grand." A nationally touring exhibition of her work is now on view at Norton Museum of Art in Palm Beach Florida, through December 11, 2005.

Parks & Recreation’s temporary public art program has consistently fostered the creation and installation of temporary public art in parks throughout the five boroughs. Since 1967, collaborations with arts organizations and artists have produced hundreds of public art projects in City parks. Committed to the exhibition of art by emerging and established artists, Parks & Recreation has supported projects ranging from international exhibitions in flagship parks to local, community works in neighborhood parks, playgrounds, and traffic islands.

Why are there police barricades on the sidewalk in front of the Seagram? There are people walking behind them, and they certainly aren't going to stop any vehicle from driving up to the building.

For years there was a gigantic granite head on the right side of that plaza. Toltec, or something.

I sure miss that head.

Plaza seems empty now; the building's not enough to hold your interest now that it's old (hat).

Yes, as old hat as a Chanel suit.

^ I know, I know: timeless beauty and all that. You have to be a connoisseur to appreciate the difference between this building and its countless subsequent imitators that have diminished it to relative ordinariness.

As Mies himself said, "God is in the details." He's in the perfectly-proportioned and subtle little bronze I-sections with which Mies decorated his facade, in the precise choice of glass color to complement that decision, in the building's overall proportions that make such subtle reference to the human figure, in the languid way the plaza's flat plane relates to the slight dip of the Park Avenue sidewalk.

The fact that imitators have diluted this building's excellences is lost on most folks. To them, they're all just brown boxes.

All very true.

Can one still visit the lobby? It is soooo chic. It looks brand new and a thousand years old.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    All very true.

Can one still visit the lobby? It is soooo chic. It looks brand new and a thousand years old.
    I'm not certain. Last time I was there to run an errand, the security guards didn't really pay me any mind until I said that I needed to go upstairs. Since the Four Seasons restaurant is still open, I don't see why not.

In any case, it couldn't hurt to dress impeccably and have a reservation just in case

A few of the Seagram pics I've taken over the past couple of years...

The best of the tombstones. There's an even bigger collection of them on Sixth Avenue.

When Seagram arrived she was the only one. She was breathtaking. The rest of Park Avenue was still a uniform cliff, as it still is further uptown. Seagram would catch my eye each time I passed and I would ogle her shamelessly.

After a while Seagram started to have company. The company somewhat resembled Seagram and came with plazas. So Seagram looked less and less unique.

The other day I went down Park Avenue in a cab, and I passed her by before I realized it: I had neglected to ogle my breathtaking beauty.
    Last edited by ablarc; October 14th, 2005 at 10:06 PM.

g.bugs on Flickr
    July 6, 2007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast