Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 111 Central Park North - Harlem - Condo

Default 111 Central Park North - Harlem - Condo

HARLEM HIGH-RISE PLANNED

By BRADEN KEIL
    July 16, 2004

Central Park North could become the next Fifth Avenue — or at least Central Park South — with the arrival of a new luxury high-rise building planned for the long-neglected Harlem boulevard facing the famed park.

The Post has learned that luxury condominium builder, The Athena Group, has bought three property parcels at the northwest corner of Central Park North and Lenox Ave. It plans to construct an upscale doorman building that would rise 20 floors with as many as 80 units, if the plans are approved.

"This is an opportunity for New Yorkers to be on the park at roughly half the price of Central Park South," said Athena CEO Louis Dubin. "And I think these are the best views of the park, and the city, from that vantage point."

Dubin said the building would have units ranging from one to four bedrooms at prices between $500,000 and $1.7 million.

Last month, the Post reported a migration of middle-class families and single professionals taking advantage of the low prices and grand spaces. Several apartment buildings are now in the process of floor-by-floor renovations.

Once the permits are in place, Dubin hopes to begin demolition by spring 2005.

Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc.
    Last edited by krulltime; May 8th, 2006 at 11:20 PM.

I have always woundered how long it would take for CP North to get exspensive. Guess the wait is over.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RedFerrari360f1
    I have always woundered how long it would take for CP North to get exspensive. Guess the wait is over.
    Yeah, really does make sense. Just a matter of time before most of Harlem is like the rest of Manhattan. It's too close with too nice a building stock not to be.

Forum Veteran

I'm hoping for an impressive design, as well as that people in the neighborhood will get priority.

I'm all for revitalization, but I still hope that Harlem can be integrated while maintaining its history as a Black neighborhood; it would be a shame if families who have lived there for generations were to be priced out. It would be nice, however, if the boundaries between racially divided neighborhoods citywide could be a bit more blurred, in some cases penetrated in both directions.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    I'm hoping for an impressive design, as well as that people in the neighborhood will get priority.

I'm all for revitalization, but I still hope that Harlem can be integrated while maintaining its history as a Black neighborhood; it would be a shame if families who have lived there for generations were to be priced out. It would be nice, however, if the boundaries between racially divided neighborhoods citywide could be a bit more blurred, in some cases penetrated in both directions.
    Harlem wasn't always a black neighborhood.

Forum Veteran

[quote="billyblancoNYC"]
    Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5

Harlem wasn't always a black neighborhood.
    True, but it wasn't always a Dutch farming village, either.

As I recall prior to the Majority African-American inhabitance Harlem was a posch White community during much of the 1800's and early 1900's. Maybe it will return as such and induce its self into a cycle. Who knows.

As I recall prior to the Majority African-American inhabitance Harlem was a posch White community during much of the 1800's and early 1900's. Maybe it will return as such and induce its self into a cycle. Who knows.
    Let's hope not. Harlem is reknowned for its Black culture and is currently experiencing a second Renaissance.

It took a long time but it seems like it will happen finally...

New apartment tower on Central Park North

08-MAY-06

The Athena Group is planning a 18-story residential condominium project at 111 Central Park North on the northwest corner of Lenox Avenue and 110th Street.

The blue-glass-clad building has been designed by Hillier Architecture and will have many balconies, 48 apartments, a 41-car garage with an entrance on 111th Street, and a 4,500-square-foot community facility.

Recently a 11-story residential condominium conversion project with 7 units was completed nearby by Queva J. Lutz and Sara Olsen at 125 Central Park North.

The Athena Group, which is headed by Louis M. Dubin, and its projects have included 838 Fifth Avenue and 32 West 64th Street, both in Manhattan, and The Waverly Condominiums in South Beach, Miami.

The building will have 8,721 square feet of retail space that is expected to be available in the fall of 2007, according to Robert K. Futterman & Associates, which is handling the space.

The tower is setback above a one-story base.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY

Default cpn

What is this area like at CPN? Are there alot of restaurants and stores nearby..

Swanky 1960´s Euro luxe looking and not bad at all ....OR.... a missed opportunity to connect CPN with CPW and 5th by doing something "classic"?

Opinions?

What is this area like at CPN? Are there alot of restaurants and stores nearby..
    I think there are a few stores across the intersection. Mostly CPN is lower end apartment houses/tenements, streetfront churches, and even contains a jail (!)

I like it.........the area needs some pizaaz and nothing like a little Miami condo boom looking tower to do that....

......now what to do with all those projects up there...will it be like the Amsterdam Houses and now the Chelsea projects...which are like islands disassociated from the neighborhoods around them..?

Quote Originally Posted by Peakrate212
    ......now what to do with all those projects up there...will it be like the Amsterdam Houses and now the Chelsea projects...which are like islands disassociated from the neighborhoods around them..?
    Tear 'em down. Replace the lost units in streetfront buildings and blend in at least 50% market condos. Garnish with ground floor shops.

Higher density, better streetscape, mixed community, mixed use.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast