34 54.84%
  • In the Daily Newspaper?

24 38.71%
  • Watch it on T.V.?

4 6.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newspapers

Default Newspapers

What are all the newspapers in NYC, and how do they stand (Amongst what people think of them) Such as The Times, The Post, Newsday(Especially newsday, im curious to it) anyone get these at your door every morning? Any I forgot? Does anyone watch it on TV? Whats the best time to watch to see all that happened in the city. What channel? NY1?

Banned Member

NY1 is the best NYC-centric news program. I like Lou Dobbs on CNN for national, international and economic news.

I read my news on the Internet every morning. Genberally, I read:

NYTimes.com (pretty thoroughly - including editorials)
    CNN.com (love all those polls)
    AlJazeera.net (to get the real news of the Middle East and alternative world news)
    BBC.com
    Crainsny.com (NY Business news)
    CSMonitor.com (Christian Science Monitor - excellent journalism - don't let the name deter you.)
    Newsday.com (occasionally)
    nyc.indymedia.org (independent news and a good pulse for anti-Bush, anti-globalization, anti-corporate and anti-war resistance groups
    truthout.org (good collection of across the board editorials and columns)
    washingtonpost.com (Inside DC News)
    rawstory.com (the DrudgeReport of the left).

I find the Wall Street Journal to be the most informed, as well as the best-written. During election season I typically turned to them for more or less objective editorials (as opposed to pretty biased fare that you'd find on NY Times, CNN, and Fox News). Unfortunately, WSJ Online is not free; however, I think it is well worth the price.

ILUVNYC, Newsday is more of a Long Island paper than it is a New York City paper.

The New York Post is an inimitable gossip rag that almost always gets it wrong, yet never fails to entertain. Their local coverage is good, scandalous fun. Skip the editorials and check out the reader letters for a laugh. Their gossip is hands-down the best.

The Daily News is a sad shadow of the NY Post that tries to draw in a few readers by being slightly (and only slightly) less frothing at the mouth.

The New York Times arguably sets the standard for newspapers across the country.

The Wall Street Journal sets the standard for financial newspapers across the country.

The salmon-hued New York Observer is highbrow and hilarious.

AM New York and Metro are free papers that also serve as fresh street garbage.

Don't even bother asking about the New York Sun. Nobody reads it.

Forum Veteran

I used to, then the free ones stopped coming. :wink:

I prefer the internet. You could get news from around the world. On the internet, the first news site I go to is usually DRUDGEREPORT.COM

Good links Brooklynrider, do you read those EVERY morning? Must take a long time! LOL. Schadenfrau, Thank you for your post. Very informative, exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Forum Veteran

I read The Guardian from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    I read The Guardian from time to time.
    Im not familier with it, is it like the post?

Forum Veteran

The Guardian is a British newspaper. From what they claim, it's not owned by the state or a company. It's often critical of U.S. foreign policy, but it offers a very European view to world affairs.

For me, a broadsheet is the most enjoyable however seldom pleasure. Each morning I quickly read through the online NY Times, scan the other NY dailies and, if time permits, glance at a few other sites: BBC, Guardian (UK), Le Monde, IHT, Wash Post. I have a news folder in my browser favorites that includes major U.S. papers and a dozen international ones.

A favorite bookmark is Headline Central with tabbed pages for World, North America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Australia. Most, but not all, sources are in English. It's a great way to get a world-view when one has some time.

The Guardian (UK) also provides a similar service: World News Guide

And lastly, News Google is an aggregate yet it often includes newspapers from Australia to China to Boise ID. Caution: Most stories are from wire services; if nothing else it underscores the dearth of truly independent news sources.

Two that have not been mentioned yet are:

Gotham Gazette
    http://www.gothamgazette.com/

...Which is a personal favorite of mine because their banner retains a skyline that includes the twin towers...

and

Downtown Express
    http://downtownexpress.com/

...An excellent weekly that focuses on lower Manhattan.

Also, just becuase the Sun doesn't have a large population of readers doesn't mean it is a poor paper. It is a mistake that their internet site is not free (they are not the WSJ), but they do have good articles, from time to time, in my view.

Does the times have EVERY shooting,death,stabbing, etc in everydays metro section? Does NY1 tell these things everyday at a certain time? Im just curious. Ill read about someone getting raped on Newsday but not on the times.

No newspaper or television channel really covers every single crime that takes place in the metro area.

Forum Veteran

WSJ
    1/18/05

$9 an Hour and All the News You Can Read

IN A GRITTY warehouse in midtown Manhattan, a dozen performers listened carefully as a director told them how to play a scene on a busy Manhattan sidewalk. One woman's role was to be bubbly and try to get harried pedestrians to take a free newspaper out of her hands; her co-stars, the pedestrians, bulldozed right past her.

"One, two, three, go!" the burly coach shouted, as the actors got into character and took their places. As they strode to and fro, the woman hammed it up, shouting "Good morning! amNewYork!" and trying to insert the paper into their hands. The coach eyed her and scribbled some notes.

An audition for a Broadway show? A commercial? An acting class? No, the woman was trying out to be a newspaper hawker for amNewYork, the five-day-a-week tabloid started 14 months ago, partly with backing from Chicago's Tribune Co.

Five mornings a week, "newsies" distribute amNewYork to rush-hour pedestrians at street corners and major commuter hubs such as Grand Central Terminal and Pennsylvania Station. And they have plenty of competition. Lately there are hundreds more hawkers handing out free newspapers on the sidewalks of New York, with the arrival of both amNewYork and Metro International's Metro New York, as well as the 25- cent New York Sun, published by One SL LLC.

Circulation for amNewYork, as of this month, increased to 325,000 copies, more than double the 150,000 copies at its October 2003 launch, the tabloid says. The paper credits the increase in large part to its approximately 200 newsies, 21st-century versions of the saucy boys who hawked newspapers in the 19th century. Street sellers of amNewYork are easily identifiable, in their red-logo aprons. Many are full- and part-time college students, immigrants working second jobs and aspiring artists and performers.

They are the kind of people who want to stand outdoors and banter with strangers for three hours in the morning, sometimes starting as early as 6 a.m. The job pays nine dollars an hour.

"It starts my day off," says Michele Atkinson, a hawker who sometimes works a busy Penn Station location. "You wake up early, do your stuff, and once it's done, you're hyped up." "I get to be creative," says Wahid Ali, 23 years old. Plus, "it's only three hours, so I can just bust it out and go back to sleep, or do three hours and go to class."

The increased use of newsies comes as investors and regulators are scrutinizing the way newspapers are sold on newstands and through other single-copy vendors. Big publishers have blamed errors for serious overstatements in reported circulation figures at newspapers including Hollinger International Inc.'s Chicago Sun-Times, Tribune Co.'s Newsday and Spanish-language Hoy, and Belo Corp.'s Dallas Morning News. Some people think publishers need to update old- fashioned distribution systems with bar codes and electronic tracking.

At amNewYork, managers count how many papers each hawker gets and how many he or she returns. A newsie who got 2,000 papers and gave away only 900 might get only 1,000 the next day. Supervisors often secretly monitor distribution spots to make sure newsies don't misbehave, for example, by distributing their product to the nearest trash can.

On a recent Wednesday evening, about 200 men and women came from the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and New Jersey to the Manhattan warehouse to vie for fewer than 40 openings. Hopefuls were judged, Olympics-style, on a scale of one to five, on things such as appearance, frequency of smiles and "hunger," or ability to hand out papers.

Thirty-nine people were offered hawker jobs. Haidin Palacios, an amNewYork supervisor who ran the audition, says, "The kind of people I look for are professional, responsible and friendly. Are you smiling? Do you come alive?"

Mr. Ali does. Sprightly at 5-feet, 5-inches tall, he can be heard and seen on weekday mornings at the Cortlandt Street subway stop, just footsteps from Ground Zero. Grinning ear to ear with a stack of newspapers on his arm, Mr. Ali is credited with boosting the paper's circulation at this subway stop to 2,000 copies a day, up from 800 a year ago.

Mr. Ali often revels in the day's grim headlines. "A 22-year-old from Queens kills his friend over a bowl of soup!" he hollered one morning. And he can be eager to broadcast news about himself. "Damn, I really gotta use the potty," he said for all to hear one morning as he neared the end of his shift. In another sign of the discipline amNewYork tries to instill in its promoters, they aren't allowed bathroom breaks during their shifts, except in case of a real emergency.

Mr. Ali takes on the duty of waking groggy morning commuters. "Good morning, guys!" he shouted cheerfully one morning. When no one answered, Mr. Ali teased them. "Aw, come on. Let me see some smiles. Wake up! I don't want to serve a bunch of zombies!"

Newsies are thought to have appeared first in the 1830s with the first penny dailies. By the 1930s, newsstands and the growing use of home subscriptions were making them obsolete. "Young people have a way of presenting themselves and dressing that can be off-putting to people of a certain age, but that may have a real connection with young folks," says Thomas C. Leonard, professor at the graduate school of journalism at the University of California, Berkeley.

Big publishers hope slim, easy-reading tabloids -- all distributed by street-hawkers, to one degree or another -- will help them reach commuters in their 20s and 30s. Earlier this month, the New York Times Co. announced it would buy a 49% stake in Metro Boston for $16.5 million; Metro International's U.S. unit will continue to control and manage the paper, including its editorial operations. Belo has launched Quick in Dallas, while in Washington, the Washington Post Co. has launched Express. In Chicago, Tribune Co. publishes RedEye, going head-to-head with Hollinger's Red Streak.

Established tabloids, like News Corp.'s New York Post, and the Daily News, owned by real-estate tycoon Mortimer Zuckerman, have used street hawkers on and off over the years. Now, a new crop of publishers, facing flat or falling circulation at their flagship papers, are adopting the tactic.

Underlying the declines in readership at many major newspapers are two ominous threats: The most-dedicated newspaper readers are aging. And they aren't being replaced with enough young readers, because many young people don't read papers for news but get their news instead from the Internet and 24-hour cable-TV.

Daily circulation for the U.S. newspapers reporting to the Audit Bureau of Circulations was down 0.9% to 47,711,751 for the six months ended Sept. 30, according to an analysis by the Newspaper Association of America.

Arnie Applebaum, general manager of the Express, the Washington daily launched in August 2003, says 70% of the newspaper's distribution is done through some 130 hawkers working at Metro stops. In some cases, the paper positions them right near free newspaper boxes. "People are in a rush," Mr. Applebaum says. "We found that people don't want to take a few steps out of their way to get a paper. If we put a hawker in the right place . . . we can distribute a heck of a lot of newspapers in a short amount of time."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast