Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 130 Cedar Street - Renovation & Addition - World Center Hotel

Default 130 Cedar Street - Renovation & Addition - World Center Hotel

Article from Battery Park City Broadsheet

A rumor that 130 Cedar St will be demolished is unfounded. The 12-story building between the Deutsche Bank tower and 90 West St will be restored as a hotel. Scaffolding recently erected around the building is for remedial work.

Developers of 130 Cedar and 90 West are concerned about the height of a park to be built at their doorsteps. Plans call for the entrance to the underground WTC garage to be located on Liberty St, with parkland sloped over the truck entrance. LMDC board member Carl Weisbrod, president of the Downtown Alliance, told LMDC planners at a recent meeting that if the park was too high, it would block views of the two buildings and undermine the significant financial investments being made in them.
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; March 24th, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Off topic a bit, but I walked past this site yesterday and noticed a corner building, beige brick, that I couldn't tell was being demolished or constructed. Anyone know what this is? It's really nearby here.

If you mean the building next to 90 West, that's 130 Cedar St.

There were plans all along to develop the property. They may have been waiting for DB to be deconstructed, but given the comedy or errors there...

Work began last year. Not sure about the addition, but the lower portion will be a hotel.

They could have chosen better windows

Post 123 Washington Street.

Quote Originally Posted by avngingandbright View Post
    .....I couldn't tell was being demolished or constructed. Anyone know what this is? It's really nearby here.
    It is being remodeled: glad to see they will be keeping the brick facade at the base. There are three buildings in a state a transition there, practically side-by-side.

Take a look at this blog: some good photos and commentary.

http://citynoise.org/article/3416

Cheers.

130 Cedar St

Took these last month.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    130 Cedar St

Took these last month.

[URL=http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=130cedar01cah6.jpg][

Zippy,

What was on the site of 130 Cedar before this? I used to work in the area, but I can't recall?

Are there any renderings of what this building will look like?

Not THAT special, but we all know by now that it will certainly have had more character than the re-do.

Thanks. It appears that they're simply giving it new windows and adding a few floors.
    Last edited by NoyokA; February 27th, 2009 at 01:42 PM.

@londonlawyer: The present building without the addition. It was plain, with a simple stone base. The stepped roofline gave it character.

I think it sat empty for awhile, and as the residential population started to grow, a Door Store moved in.

Up until 09/11, the Amish Market occupied the building. It was staffed by cute Eastern European girls. I shopped there a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp;275936Up until 09/11, the Amish Market occupied the building. It was staffed by cute Eastern European girls. I shopped there a lot.

[img
    http://www.tribecatrib.com/photos/news/apr02/amishcolor.jpg[/img]
    Thanks, Zippy.

I've been to the Amish market. I used to live and work downtown but could not remember this site.

I agree re: the girls. I think the Amish market is owned by the same people who own Zeytuna. I loved the manager of that place. She had a very curvacious bunda.

I thought the windows were wrong, but I was wrong.

The windows are right, for the new facade.

But now the whole thing is wrong.

My jaw dropped when I saw this. What are they thinking? The building was in quiet harmony with 90 West.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Oh my goodness. More flesh eating disease.

The gods are not amused. I fear we are only a few more McSam's-et-al away from Armageddon. One can poke his fingers in the eyes of the gods only so many times. Balance must be restored to the Universe. Which eye-sore will tip the scale that unleashes their vengeful wrath?

Banned Member

This is all we know about this project? Anything else?

Source: http://www.renewnyc.org/ThePlan/residential_growth.asp

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

130 Cedar Street

After several months of careful coordination with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the 130 Cedar Street building conversion began in summer 2007.

Cleaning and abatement of the existing 12-story former office building begins in late July 2007, starting from the top down using a four-floor "buffer zone" between the clean floors and deconstruction areas (a plan similar to that of 130 Liberty Street). Next, deconstruction will strip the building down to its concrete superstructure through the end of 2007, with eight air monitors in place throughout.

Construction is expected to commence in early 2008. Contractor Laval Construction will add seven new stories to the existing 12 stories (including a penthouse floor). The new, 19-story tower will house a new hotel with retail and restaurants.

Default A little more information...

http://www.clubquarters.com/loc_WTC.aspx

It's not really clear whether the restaurants will be open to the public. Architectural faux pas notwithstanding, it will be a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast