Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Breast and Imaging Center - by Perkins Eastman

Default Memorial Sloan-Kettering Breast and Imaging Center - by Perkins Eastman

Discussion on another board is that the Beekman will soon be closed to allow for an adjacent hospital expansion. If this topic has been already posted on Wired New York, apologies. A search didn't bring up anything on this.

Yes.

NYC's Beekman Theatre to be demolished
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big News Network.com Thursday 6th January, 2005

Demolition crews will tear down New York City's prestigious Beekman Theatre, immortalized in the movie Annie Hall, for a cancer-treatment center.

Our landlord has exercised a lease option to take back the property and, as a result, Clearview Cinemas will cease operations at the Beekman at the end of June 2005, the movie chain said in a statement.

The 52-year-old landmark theater and adjacent buildings have been owned since 1989 by SKI Realty, a unit of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, the Post said Wednesday.

We are planning to construct an outpatient cancer-treatment facility including breast and other cancers, said hospital spokesman Christine Hickey.

Default Beekman

Does anyone have a rendering of the new cancer treatment center that will replace the beloved Beekman?

Don't know that I'm ready to see a rendering of the new building yet...

The Beekman really captured a certain moment in time in NYC... aaahhhh....

Adieu, and Farewell!!

This seemed fitting ...

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1
    Does anyone have a rendering of the new cancer treatment center that will replace the beloved Beekman?
    If only they could incorporate a good movie into effective cancer treatment.

That movie house had a great balcony.

A few weeks ago

Well, nothing left but a big hole in the ground. I live a block away and today was the start of the digging which is loud and annoying. Anyone have a rendering of what is to be built?

There was something so urbane about that stretch of sidewalk.

The guy standing in the background says it all.

Renderings of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Breast and Imaging Center are on AMD's website under healthcare.
    http://amdrendering.com/

I thought it was the Thalia, another fine, yet closed down cinema, that was immortalized in Annie Hall.

Oh wow, thanks for the rendering of the Cancer Center, this is the first time I have seen one of it. I have lived very close by for the past 7 years and I must say this building is totally going to change the neighborhood. The Beekman gave this area such a nice classic Old NY feel. This new building looks decent but I cant say it fits into this highly residential area. To me it looks like it belongs over on York with the other hospital buildings. Maybe its just so new and different and I am not used to it.

Oh Anarchy77. you mentioned the Thalia. My late half brother Richard Schwarz owned the Thalia for many years but had to sell it when he became very ill. He struggled to keep the Thalia even before that with real estate taxes and bills skyrocketing, as the mega theatre companies moved in. His passion was old classic films and he passed up the modern blockbusters to continue to show what he believed were great productions. Its sad to see yet another theatre like the Thalia now gone.

RIP Beekman, you won't be soon forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteynyc1
    Oh Anarchy77. you mentioned the Thalia. My late half brother Richard Schwarz owned the Thalia for many years but had to sell it when he became very ill. He struggled to keep the Thalia even before that with real estate taxes and bills skyrocketing, as the mega theatre companies moved in. His passion was old classic films and he passed up the modern blockbusters to continue to show what he believed were great productions. Its sad to see yet another theatre like the Thalia now gone.
    Peteynyc1, the Thalia was Film appreciation 101 for me back in the early 80's: I got to see so many fine films of the independent and foreign variety--Fellini, Godard, Bergman, Tati, Woody Allen, The mad adventures of rabbi jacob, etc. The seating was really weird-some seats in some rows were higher up than others and if the theater was full you had to hope you were sitting behind a short person. But the theater had such a cozy classy unpretentious intimate feel about it with the old film posters and the brown? walls.

RIP Richard, thanks a bunch for the education and pleasure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast