Page 1 of 145 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to New York

Default Moving to New York

This is the permanent topic for those seeking advice for a planned move to the city. Please post your questions here.

What is a co-op? What is the difference between a co-op and a condo?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Evgeny
    In a co-op, all residents own a share in the building. A board of elected residents runs the building. In a condo, there is an independent owner and the units are owned entirely by their occupants.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Quote Originally Posted by Evgeny
    In a co-op, all residents own a share in the building. A board of elected residents runs the building. In a condo, there is an independent owner and the units are owned entirely by their occupants.
    So actually the co-op isn`t your property?

Here's a good description of the differnces between the two. http://www.corcoran.com/guides/index...ge=CoopVsCondo.

Thanks for the link!

This is probably too general a question, but I figure someone might have fun with it:

If I wanted to live in a decent Manhattan neighborhood, split a nice apartment with one roommate, and live comfortably as far as other expenses go, how much would I need to make in yearly salary? By living comfortably I'm talking about things such as going to the movies when ever I wish, not driving a 'Benz to TWC for sushi.

I figure about $1000 a month rent (per person) would get a place. $12,000 a year rent, at the 30% or what ever figure they say to pay in housing, leaves me with a $40,000 salary to make due. That seems awfully low given my expectations above. What do you think?

I think you'll need to make more than $40,000.

Default moving to nyc fordham part time law school

Hiyas,

I am going to be moving to nyc sometime in the near future. I will be working for a law firm while going to fordham law school at night. The firm i am going to be working for is up in Tarrytown. I was thinking of living in the Bronx but am concerned about crime, drugs etc as I have a family. I would like to live in an ethnically diverse neighborhood just for sake of an interesting place to live.
    Any advice on moving there?

Feel free to email me.

Thanks,

KC

Not all of the BX is crime ridden. The north Bronx is nice and diverse. Good Luck!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by colobikeguy
    Hiyas,

I am going to be moving to nyc sometime in the near future. I will be working for a law firm while going to fordham law school at night. The firm i am going to be working for is up in Tarrytown. I was thinking of living in the Bronx but am concerned about crime, drugs etc as I have a family. I would like to live in an ethnically diverse neighborhood just for sake of an interesting place to live.
    Any advice on moving there?

Feel free to email me.

Thanks,

KC

Northern Bronx ranges from nice to super nice. The eastern Bronx is also nice...old school NYC. While still a bit dicey, even the South Bronx is picking up, as Manhattan and Brooklyn refugees are taking up residence.

Depending on how much money you have for housing...Throgs Neck/Morris Park/Eastern Bronx would be the best bet for moderate prices and nice areas. NW Bronx, ie. Riverdale has mansions, but also nice apartment buildings that are much more reasonable. NE Bronx, like Woodlawn is pretty middle class (Woodlawn, actually, has a subastantial Irish expat population).

Living in the Bronx is fine, but the public schools aren't the best. Are you planning on sending the kids to private school?

Public schools in the East Bronx are fine. The troubled schools are mostly in the south and central portions of the Bronx. There are excellent public schools in Morris Park, Throgs Neck, Pelham Bay and Country Club, which are all nice, safe East Bronx neighborhoods.

Hi all, I'm planning on moving to NY January/February next year. I'll be taking my bar exams then trying to find work. From living in London for the past 3 years I'm used to expense, but am still unsure of the costs of living comparatively. What would my chances be of getting some work/a liveable wage?

I'm 24 now, coming 25 so I'm prepared to take a few risks. NY sounds like a dream.

Here's some thoughts on moving to NYC

Apparently, my mom informed me that by the time I'm about 19, it seems my enitre family is moving either south or Arizona. Since that officaly blows my idea of commuting to work/college, what type of jobs can you get out of high school that can help sistain you while also going to college/trade school? Is it true NY jobs pay more than in the rest of the country? What affordable housing programs are available to young men? I mean, any chance of landing an affordable housing voucher/apartment, or even rent control/stablization? Is NY's economy as vital and growing as in the south and west? What careers are growing in the city, is auto mechanics one of them?

Also, do NYers tend to like making friends? I mean, now knowing I will be completely alone in my move, is there any chance that I'll find a group of really good friends for support? Even life long buddies?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 145 123451151101 ... LastLast