Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 400 Fifth Avenue @ 36th St - Setai Hotel and Condo - by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates

The Dude Abides

Default 400 Fifth Avenue @ 36th St - Setai Hotel and Condo - by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates

Since this building is pretty significant in its design and height, and doesn't have its own thread, I think it's appropriate to make one for it:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3
    Far West Side & Penn Station Area Development
    Approximately the area west of Fifth Avenue from 30th to 38th Street and the area west of Eighth Avenue from 40th to 28th Street.

Project #1

400 Fifth Avenue
    396-400 Fifth Avenue (Fifth Avenue between West 37th and 38th Streets)
    ~50 stories ~600 feet
    SOM/SLCE Architects
    Dev-Chetrit Brothers
    Residential Condominium
    Proposed 2005-2007

SOM; AIANY Design Awards 2004
    http://www.aiany.org/designawards/2004/projects/226.htm

http://www.thai3dviz.com

New York Daily News
    What's up on Fifth?

January 24, 2005

There's a hole in the ground on Fifth Avenue not far from Lord & Taylor - and the Chetrit family is responsible for it. The real estate investors are planning a mixed-use development at 396, 398 and 400 Fifth Ave., south of W. 37th St., sources said.

The buildings at 398 and 400 Fifth have just been torn down. And a permit's been issued allowing the facade of 396 Fifth to be demolished and replaced.

People in the neighborhood got their hopes up that something really nice would be built at the site - because Trevor Davis, a high-profile builder of upscale residential towers, is listed as the property owner on city-issued demolition permits.

Davis built the elegant apartment tower at 425 Fifth, which is just across the avenue from Chetrits' project. But he's not going to be involved in the Chetrits' project, sources said.

A spokeswoman for the Chetrits did not respond to requests for comment.

All contents © 2005 Daily News, L.P.

Tower at 400 Fifth Avenue (New York City)
    http://www.architects.org/emplibrary/ACF5469.pdf

designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (New York City – project team: Peter Magill
    AIA, Gary Haney AIA, Stephen Apking AIA, Aybars Asci, Barbara Kalish AIA, and Nick
    Holt)

The massing of this 600-ft tower acknowledges its historic predecessors in this portion of the New York skyline, but the less contextual architecture of its surface is what shows the most imagination. The facades are unpredictable fields of offset planes that take full advantage of the reflective qualities of glass. The fascination with the building’s skin produces an elegant and interesting outcome – sufficient to deserve an award in its own right – and the designers’ search for an innovative relation between the building’s perceived volume and its surface adds dimension to their achievement.

ESB webcam
    http://live7.truelook.com/face/newfa...imagemap.y=398

Links:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...e=10018%2d2700
    Map

http://www.aiany.org/designawards/2004/projects/226.htm

http://www.knowledgeplex.org
    Adjacent to the corner of 404 Fifth Ave. between East 37th and 38th streets is the site of two four-floor mixed-use buildings. The buildings are in the process of being demolished to make way for another luxury residential condominium development. Trevor Davis and the Chetrit Group are planning to develop the site. The new building is located across the street from Davis & Partners' 67-story mixed-use condominium at 425 Fifth Ave., which opened earlier this year.

The Dude Abides

These are pictures of the site that I took today (8/23).

Thanks, I never even heard of this one before. That's a pretty tall building they are taking down too.

Design certainly looks interesting.

The Dude Abides

I'm not sure they're taking the building on the corner down. The article says that a permit was issued to allow for demolition of the facade, followed by a restoration. I guess they expect construction to damage it a lot.

Thumbs up

The amount of projects in this city really does amaze me!

Default Chetrit Sells Fifth Avenue Development Site To Tessler

Chetrit Sells Fifth Avenue Development Site To Tessler

August 12, 2005
    Joseph Chetrit has reached an agreement to sell a development site at 396-400 Fifth Ave. south of 37th St. in Manhattan to Yitzhak Tessler for about $150 million. Tessler and Chetrit are also partners on the conversion of the Windsor Park Hotel to condominiums, and 489 Fifth Ave., an office building.

Chetrit was said to be planning a condominium development at the site, some of which would be tied to a hotel. Calls to Tessler and Chetrit were not returned. A call to Trevor Davis, who may have been involved in the project, was also not returned.

Hopefully the project is redesigned. Something big will go here nevertheless.

I agree. I am in the minority, but I do not like that design.

Whatever they do I hope they hurry up and do it. It's hard to take pleasure in a vacant lot.

I'm with you London. It looks like a kitchsy early '60s piece of rubbish. Perhaps the undulations might have looked nice from a few choice angles, but it just looks finicky to me.

The Dude Abides

From http://cityrealty.com:

Demoliton activity at 400 Fifth Avenue 24-AUG-05

Two buildings have been demolished and a third is clad in construction shrouds on the northwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 36th Street.

The addresses at 396, 398 and 400 Fifth Avenue, an assemblage that Joseph Chetrit has recently agreed to sell to Yitzhak Tessler for about $150 million, according to published reports.

Mr. Chetrit and Mr. Tessler are partners in the current conversion of the formerly Helmsley Windsor Hotel on the southwest corner of the Avenue of the Americas and 58th Street to the Windsor Park condominium apartment building.

Previously published plans for 400 Fifth Avenue indicated a condominium apartment tower of about 50 stories or 600 feet designed by Peter Magill of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill that featured a very unusual façade of undulating faceted elements and slightly angled windows. The tower in that plan would be setback on a base that held to the building line on Fifth Avenue.

Mr. Chetrit’s office said today he was out-of-town until next week. Mr. Magill was also out-of-town, but Kim Van Holsbeke of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill indicated that the previously published plans were still active in terms of general massing but details were being reviewed because of the change in ownership.

The tower would be the latest new high-rise building to be erected within a few blocks of the Empire State Building, which has for decades stood in splendid isolation. Its site is across the avenue from 425 Fifth Avenue, a quite tall, yellow-and-white, apartment tower and it is three blocks north of 325 Fifth Avenue, a 50-story condominium apartment building now in construction.

Banned Member

I would be a nice site for a hotel.

Wow, pretty tall for its location. I don't think I like it either. All I can think of is Barcelona when looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJW
    Wow, pretty tall for its location. I don't think I like it either. All I can think of is Barcelona when looking at it.
    Tall is good. Barcelona is good.

Barcelona is great. I think this building looks chic. Look at the photo up above, together with the Empire State. All is right with the world. And I like the haute-couture fru-fru sculpturing. Very fine.

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast