Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 105 Norfolk Street - Blue Condo - by Bernard Tschumi

Default 105 Norfolk Street - Blue Condo - by Bernard Tschumi

Curbed
    August 24, 2005

What's Big, Blue, and Coming to the LES?

Blue Condo

A couple months ago, while spreading Lower East Side rumors both delicious (mmm, Tiny's) and wrong (oops, Lansky), we brought up a planned 17-story condo going up next to Tonic on Norfolk Street. "Anyone seen the design?" we asked. There was resounding ... silence. But worry not, for a tipster finally chimes in:

I just saw the advertisement going up on the scaffolding in front of the Gem Store on Delancey at the corner of Norfolk. They are promoting the condos going up on the lot behind the store, the former Lansky Lounge parking lot. Really striking architecture !!!

Striking indeed. In fact, it's so striking, we hear a crew of men armed with shovels have already been recruited to scoop up the pigeon carcasses that will line the sidewalks beneath the building.

Copyright © 2005 Curbed

Thumbs up

Great building. I really hope this one gets off the ground, it is just as good and the fascade is very similar to this one:

Is this a joke? That thing looks it was purchased in an adult bookshop.

Blue at 105 Norfolk Street

Developer: John Carson and Angelo Cosentini
    Architect(s): Bernard Tschumi Architects with SLCE Architects
    Consultant(s): Israel Berger & Associates, Thornton Thomasetti, Ettinger Engineers
    Size: 16 floors, 32 units, 60,000 sq. ft.
    Completion (est.): 2006
    Budget: $18 million

The irregular form of this building is due in part to a series of site restrictions: The developers purchased the air rights to the building next door so that they could build over it, but zoning regulations do not permit the insertion of a column within the neighboring commercial space, so the architects had to cantilever the upper floors out over the adjacent building. The upper levels taper back because of setback requirements.

http://www.archpaper.com/feature_art..._all_rise.html

Not exactly the type of architecture one associates with the Lower East Side, is it?

Why should new development conform to clichés?

Stern that thing you posted is ugly! It reminds me of that new tower in London only with a horrible color treatment.

The facade reminds me more of the Westin Times Square, without its base.

This would be lovely in a happy tropical locale.... you´d want the pool tiles to match the facade of course. And Versace sunglasses for everyone!
    Last edited by Fabrizio; August 25th, 2005 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Why should new development conform to clichés?
    It shouldn't. But what it should do is please the eye and complement it's surroundings. This does neither.

Well, this certainly is diffrent. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I dig this building. What a breath of fresh air to see a new residential tower that isn't a black box or a "contextual brick and glass box".

This thing looks great.

I admit I have a problem

I love the attention to detail. Though it's a big building for the area, I think it'll play well in the LES streetscape. Instant landmark! Hope we'll see a rendering soon that shows the building's base ...

Between phase 2 of the Avalon Christy project on Houston, Swathmore's building and others, the area is getting a ton of new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Blue at 105 Norfolk Street ... site restrictions: The developers purchased the air rights to the building next door so that they could build over it, but zoning regulations do not permit the insertion of a column within the neighboring commercial space, so the architects had to cantilever the upper floors out over the adjacent building.
    Am I the only one who thinks that this type of construction (cantilever over existing structures) is crazy? God forbid if you live in the building being built over (even though this one seems to be a commercial building that is being encroached upon). The owner who got the cash for the air rights must be in heaven.

So ... I'm wondering who was the genius bureaucrat who OK'd the first application for this use of air rights? No doubt that dimwit got a nice kickback from the real estate folks -- or at the very least a good inside price.

And can anyone show me (renderings or photos please) even one of these new cantilevered constructions over an existing structure that has resulted in a good building -- and good in close-up, not from 20 blocks away? (Please note that the rendering doesn't show how this proposed building relates either to the street or the buildings nearby.)

Like the "sliver" buildings that were out-lawed in the 80´s , the cantilevered construction over an existing structure is awfully third-world looking.... Mexico City maybe. It looks abusive.... like somebody got away with something ...or as if somebody paid someone off.

Also: I agree with Lofter: it´ll be interesting to see how this building will work down at street level. In this neighborhood, it´s ALL about the street. This isn´t Park Avenue in mid-town. So showing a rendering that only illustrates the upper portion of the building means practically nothing.

And: I guarantee you that the "gaiety" of this facade (like the Westin Hotel) is going to look sad and forlorn as it ages.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; August 26th, 2005 at 04:27 AM.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast