Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. Tower - One Madison Avenue - by Napoleon LeBrun

Default Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. Tower - One Madison Avenue - by Napoleon LeBrun

There's an interesting blurb and video on the new Met Life lighting scheme here..

http://archrecord.construction.com/p...MetTower-1.asp

Default Met Life Lighting

the lighting on it is beautiful, the colors are so clean and bright looking

Default Met Life Lighting

We'd better enjoy decorative lighting such as this while we have it.

Environmentalists have found something new to complain about: "light pollution." Already we are seeing legislation to restrict/outlaw floodlighting, require modifications of luminaire design, etc. Although our cities are dark by comparison to Tokyo and Hong Kong, they may get darker still.

Banned Member

The only lighting they need to restrict are those orange street lights. The glare and glow from thewm is horrendous. I would consider it l ight pollution. I'm still waiting for the day when I can see a star, any star, from my apartment windows.

Forum Veteran

Light pollution can actually be pretty annoying. For those who want to see some elements of the night sky, it's often too bright and sometimes enhanced by exhaust from roadways. I think instead of clamping down on nighttime building lighting, the city should install lamps that direct light exclusively downwards.

I think instead of clamping down on nighttime building lighting, the city should install lamps that direct light exclusively downwards.
    Thats right! As an astronomer I fully agree. And by the way there are hundreds of sky-friendly lamps already created, but...

Hrmmm, astronomy!! The city skylines' "enemy" :wink:

Not sure about the sugar-coated candy-stripe lighting for this one. Too, too much. Monotones or a couple of co-ordinated colours for such a classic design would be "rather". 8)

Hrmmm, astronomy!! The city skylines' "enemy"
    Don't take my statement seriously, i have nothing against skylines, especially of my city of New York :wink:, I'm just against excessive and waste lighting, mostly created by street lights. Here in southern part of Brooklyn, where I live, there is no skyline to talk about, but skies are red anyway :? Even 50 away from the city one (astronomer ) can hardly find a site with acceptably-dark skies.
    Let the Manhattan be lit! There's no place on Earth like it, so i love it the way it is
    But back to topic: From the roof of my factory in Long Island City, the Met Life IMO looks just beautiful next to ESB and the rest 8)

I'm sure the new lighting looks best in the flesh. Pics, even of the candy-stripe variety (I suppose :roll: ) won't do it justice.

BTW yepole. 2 things. I put a "winkster" next to the word "enemy" (astronomy is obviously has more importance)......and N.Y.C. is not alone in that lighting on certain buildings is cut-back due to their heavenly interferences (happens lots in Sydney & Melbourne).

Manhattan is one of those skylines that needs light. Very dark in some places where it's (seemingly) not warranted.

I'm amazed at the time it took for the doozying-up of Met Life. They really must have treated the building with kid gloves. 8)

Default Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower

I think we used to have a thread about this building, but I cannot find it

Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower - the view from Top of the Rock - observation deck atop GE building in Rockefeller Center.

Beautiful shot Edward..

For comparison's sake, here is a shot of it from the top of ESB

Here's a rendering of what the extension just to the north would've looked like before they built the newer extension that exists now

It really is a great pic Ed, I hope you don't mind if it's now my screensaver and background.

Note the beautiful Con Edison building to the SE. Dig we must.....

This has always been one of my favorite buildings in the City.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast