Thread: How long should we stay in NYC?

Default How long should we stay in NYC?

Hi all
    I'm booking a trip to New York for our anniversary. I have one simple question - how long should I book for? It's our first trip, so we'd like to see all the sights, maybe do some shopping etc. I originally thought a week, but since we are flying all the way from Dublin, maybe 10 days wpuld be better? Hopw long is the 'typical' tourist stay in New York???
    Peter

When it comes to staying in NY, I say the longer the better. I wouldn't consider how long the "typical tourist" stays. Many people come for just a weekend because the hotel rates are some of the highest in the country. But if you can afford 10 days, by all means, do it. A lifetime isn't even long enough if you ask me...

Default RE: How long should we stay in NYC?

Hi again
    Thanks for the tip RH! Does anyone have any suggestions for other things we could visit in addition than the statue, ESB, MOMA AMNH etc? We're both culture/history buffs.
    thanks again
    Peter

Forum Veteran

Funny, I just got back from a trip to Dublin... I would think the most important factor to consider is money. Consider your airfare vs. lodging expenses, and think about coming back for a second trip rather than packing everything into one trip. A long vacation is certainly a luxury, but I find myself getting too acclimated to a place after a week, so I get a bit bored (relatively).

Here's a listing of all NYC museums - more than you could do in a month.

Default RE: How long should we stay in NYC? Reply to Thread

Hi Ryan
    How did you find Dublin price-wise compared with New York? I think NY prices are outrageous!! TG the dollar has started to weaken again today. I found a good hotel deal - $100 incl. sales tax per night, that's why I was thinking of staying longer...
    Peter

You don't happen to be staying at the Hotel Carter in Times Square, do you?

Default Hotel Carter

Fortunately not!! I've read horror stories about this hotel. We're staying in Midtown, but away from Times Sq. The hotel is the Americana Inn - v. v. basic, but clean, good reviews - anyway the wife is OK with it, so that's the main thing!!!
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    Fortunately not!! I've read horror stories about this hotel. We're staying in Midtown, but away from Times Sq. The hotel is the Americana Inn - v. v. basic, but clean, good reviews - anyway the wife is OK with it, so that's the main thing!!!
    Peter
    If it's the one I'm thinking of I've heard good things about it. Is it in the low 30's between Sixth and B'way? Shared bathrooms but very clean and updated. I think you've made a good choice.

Default Re: Americana

Hi RH
    That's the one! Thanks for the confirmation...I spent days trawling through hotel reviews/rates etc trying to find the right (affordable) one!!
    Do you have any money-saving tips for NY (if that's not a contradiction)? E.g. are there any supermarkets in Manhattan? We're kind of on a tight budget :-(
    thanks again!
    Peter

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG
    Hi Ryan
    How did you find Dublin price-wise compared with New York? I think NY prices are outrageous!! TG the dollar has started to weaken again today. I found a good hotel deal - $100 incl. sales tax per night, that's why I was thinking of staying longer...
    Peter
    I found hotel prices dirt cheap (a good thing) but restaurant prices were a bit higher than I pay for similar quality (though I'm all about cheap eats in Brooklyn and downtown). I know Midtown is exciting for visitors, but I suggest you explore other areas for restaurants at least. You'll find your money goes much further.

Oh, and you shop around you'll find great prices on clothes, but if you've never been, I think you'll be more impressed by the shopping options compared to Dublin.

I'd suggest taking a shorter trip as opposed to a longer one if you're considering getting supermarket food. The restaurants are one of the best things about NYC. Also, supermarkets aren't that much of a bargain here.

Like Ryan said, there are plenty of cheap restaurants.

Forum Veteran

Finding good cheap restaurants is a sport in nyc - this article is a start. Groceries - especially in Manhattan - are often more expensive than street food.

Default Re: stay in New York

Hi Ryan/Schadenfrau/RH00
    I've booked 9 nights for April 06 ...can't wait to get to NY!! If you have any more good tips for me pls send on!!
    tks
    Peter