Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Veneto - 250 East 53rd Street - UES - Condo - by Davis Brody Bond, LLP

Default The Veneto - 250 East 53rd Street - UES - Condo - by Davis Brody Bond, LLP

Several old buildings (decent ones -- albeit neglected ones) are being razed across from 310 East 53rd (which, in my opinion, looks much shitt..ier than in the renderings). Has anyone seen renderings of what will rise there?

I know those buildings, they have been abandoned for some time. But they are nice buildings. It would have been nice to see them fixed up....looks like another condo. 2nd Avenue in Turtle Bay is looking more and more like Yorkville. Not good.

Default related

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...+related&hl=en

"Early next year, the related Companies will break ground on a 32-story tower at 250 east 53rd Street"

Building Dimension:No. Stories:32Street Frontage:Height:335Dwelling Units:137 Total Gross Area of Building:244,913 Sq. Ft.Fill: Site Area Characteristics:FIRE DIST.Open Spaces:Plaza:Arcade:Parking:Loading Berths:

Thanks for the info.

Happy New Year, gents!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The choice for the design firm is critical if you'd like it to look good.
    Bad and I mean BAD are SCLE, HLW, H. Thomas O'hara, and a bunch of other lesser known refuse and vomit creators.

So so ones are Costas Klondylis (he used to be in the above cat. but he's improved), Ismael Leyva, Robert A.M. Stern (can be good sometimes), Stephen B. Jacobs, Davis Brody Bond, Cetra/Ruddy and Kohn Pedersen Fox.

Good and excellent choices are Fox & Fowle, Gwathmey Siegal, Richard Meier, Frank Gehry, Enrique Norten, Arquitectonica, Santiago Calatrava, Renzo Piano and Norman Foster.

Of course there are other less known firms and individuals in each of those categories.

1- Presently I think “Robert m stern” is crap he is only good for old style buildings.
    2- What about som, thay did the “time werner center” Cesar Pelli the Bloomberg tower
    3- Fox & Fowle are crap as well just look at the new “bank of America tower”
    By durst and the NY times tower looks good is because “Renzo Piano

you are puting diffrant typs of architect in the same categery
    becouse som kps and ceser palli they mainly do large office developments
    but costas ismal do condos

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    I know those buildings, they have been abandoned for some time. But they are nice buildings. It would have been nice to see them fixed up....looks like another condo. 2nd Avenue in Turtle Bay is looking more and more like Yorkville. Not good.
    I really would have loved to see some of those buildings renovated, although it will be nice to get something on that corner which has been abandoned for as long as I've been living in Turtle Bay. Unfortunately the ornamentations on the building had been stripped long ago anyway.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpark
    1- Presently I think “Robert m stern” is crap he is only good for old style buildings.
    2- What about som, thay did the “time werner center” Cesar Pelli the Bloomberg tower
    Comcast Center in Phil. is by Stern and it looks pretty good to me, but you are right, he isn't consistent. My list is about residentials so SOM-NY wasn't mentioned but if they did do residentials, then they'd be in the BAD category, too. I think only the base of BOA is unimpressive, the tower portion is not bad.

Not to nit pick but BOFA Tower is designed by Cook + Fox with Richard Cook as principal. Most highrises designed by Fox and Fowle are designed by principal architect Daniel Kaplan.

it looks like Davis Broady Bond is the architect
    thay have done a great job on the union sq development for steven
    They've also produced a ton of crappy black glass buildings such as the One Sutton Place North complex.

Let's hope we get something a tad bit better than that. Also I hope it plays well with the blue glass introduced into the area by 310.

The Milan, employing banal black glass a few blocks up, looks awfully dull on most if not all days.

Default The Veneto - 250 East 53rd Street (34-story tower)

The Veneto - 250 East 53rd Street:

http://www.theveneto.com/

10/13/2005

Early next year, the Related Companies will break ground on a 32-story tower at 250 East 53rd Street.

http://citi-habitats.com/press/viewa...article_id=669

Construction site:

Looks like the people at 310 are about to lose their Westward views before they've had a chance to enjoy them.

While 310 and this new tower, The Veneto, both topping out at about the same height, will create a brief canyon for a block on Second Avenue, I am happy to see this corner developed as it has been abandoned for nearly a decade.

The buildings had also long lost their ornamentation.

This new building also seems to look pretty good, and I think the red brick and glass will jive well with the blue glass of 310 across the street.

March 24, 2006:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast