Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Columbus Square - 808 Columbus Avenue between West 97th & 100th - by Costas Kondylis

Default Columbus Square - 808 Columbus Avenue between West 97th & 100th - by Costas Kondylis

Greetings. This is my first post, though I've been lurking these boards for ages.

I hope someone on here knows about the new developments beginning to take place between 97th and 100th, from Amsterdam to CPW. About a year ago, the businesses that lined Amsterdam and Columbus began to close. The last remaining store, a C-Town on the corner of 100th and Columbus, closed within the past month. Just this morning (at 7 a.m., sharp) I woke up to the sound of a construction crew atop the former Central Park Cafe at 760 Columbus Ave (corner of 97th). Unfortunately, I live just behind the former Central Park Cafe, at 784 Columbus (part of the Park West Village apartment complex), and fear that I'll be waking up to the sound of construction crews outside my window for many months to come.

To my knowledge, the neighborhood community is unaware of plans for this new development. Being out of town for the past few months, I too have been out of the loop, though with certainty, the demolition of the 760 Columbus lot began this morning. As of this post, it is the only site being worked on.

A GoogleNews search produced this story and report from CBS2:
    http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_126180423.html

Last year, Curbed noted tenants having their parking rights removed:
    http://www.curbed.com/archives/2005/...st_village.php

More recently, there was a blurb on CityRealty.com:
    http://www.cityrealty.com/new_develo...cr?noteid=7921

Of course, my greatest concern is the constant noise, having recently moved from a neaby complex adjacent to the already discussed Extel construction at 100th and Broadway. Though losing my view of Central Park and the plazas that complete the PWV Complex would make me rethink this $1,700 studio.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Unhappy $1,700 for a studio and you have to live that far uptown?

Geesh...

Quote Originally Posted by stache
    Geesh...
    It started at $1400, and went up to about $1700 in a year while claiming to be rent stabilized. Go figure. Five years ago, a the lady living in this same apartment was paying about $500, but they claim that they can jack up the price when she moved out + renovations. (Another tenant lived here for a short time just before me, and she got the renovations -- I think I got paint).

In any event, I'm mostly concerned about this development, even though I'm well aware that I'm almost certainly being ripped off for this place.

Hey, I posted something about this the other day. A lot of the people in my building say it was Columbia buying that, but that turned out to be just a rumor. I did a search on those groups mentioned in the CBS article, but there was nothing much on them. Exactly what and how big is whatever they are going to construct there?

I wish I had a camera, as they're back up on the lot again as I type. About ten of them, in blue jumpsuits with masks chipping away at the roof of the one-story building. Nobody seems to have any idea as to what's going on at this particular lot. Rumors instead are pointing to a 29-story complex about to go up in front of the 788 Columbus Ave. building, with an underground parking garage, but this recent activity at the former Central Park Cafe (760 Columbus) caught us all by surprise.

I too heard that Columbia had acquired the property, but am almost certain that it's been debunked.

You can call 311 and report the non-permitted work to DOB ...

DOB Records show that no new applications / permits have been issued for 760 Columbus since 2002.

There is an active / existing ECB VIOLATION for "Work without Permit" from 2005:
    Description of Violation:
    WORK W/O A PERMIT. WORK NOTED: THE INSTALLATION OF AN AC UNIT APPROX.
    30" W X 30" D X 4'H WITH ATTACHED 5' LONG PIECE OF SHEET METAL FOR VEN
    TILATION WITH ATTACHED GRILL AT END OF DUCT. THERE IS ALSO EXPOSED ELE

Thank you. I'm going to report the violation right now. I checked the building database a few days ago, when I first noticed the construction, but thought that the system probably hadn't updated yet. Probably still worth filing the complaint anyway.

Just tried leaving a complaint, and was told there's already one pending.

Here it is:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Ov...key=0000761032

I'd keep calling 311 and register more complaints if the work continues.

It looks like the workers might've gotten got tipped off that an inspector was coming by.

The report by the inspector (from Monday) states:

Last Inspection:
    05/15/2006 - - BY BADGE # 2271 PATEL SATISH EXECUTIVE
    Disposition:
    05/17/2006 - - I2 - NO ACTION NECESSARY BASED UPON PHYSICAL OBSERVATION
    Disposition Entered By:

Comments:
    AT TIME OF INSP NO CONST WORK IN PROGRESS

And call your Community Board ...

DOB has far too few inpsectors to stay on top of this stuff.

The database had to have rolled over within two hours of my first call. While I immediately called back, once aware of the new information in the system, the office had already closed. I left fair, but stern message with the Department of Buildings with the hope that they will call me back. Amazing they report no construction when ten men in jumpsuits spend entire days on the roof of this place.

Columbus Avenue retail project moves forward

by Elisabeth Butler
    May 17, 2006

A plan to redevelop Columbus Avenue between 97th and 100th streets is moving ahead.

The project, known as 808 Columbus Avenue, includes a 29-story residential building and 220,000 square feet of retail space.

PWV Acquisition, which bought the property in 2000, tapped Winick Realty Group to manage the retail leasing. There will be 60,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space, as well as a 80,000-square-foot basement and an 80,000-square-foot second story, according to the realty company.

Winick executives declined to comment beyond a written statement.

Business leaders in the neighborhood have speculated about PWV’s plans for the site of the former Park West Village since retail tenants were told last year that they would have to move. The last remaining tenant, a C-Town grocery store, closed last month. The redeveloped retail space is expected to house a supermarket, fashion boutiques, restaurants, national retailers and specialty shops.

“The businesses that were there were really serving the community, and they are a loss,” says Peter Arndtsen, district manager of the Columbus/Amsterdam Business Improvement District. “But we don’t have many attractive businesses to draw people in from outside the neighborhood.”

808 Columbus Avenue is expected to open in 2008.

©2006 Crain Communications Inc.

Seems like another buildings-in-a-park development is about to bite the dust. Why put obstacles in its path?

^ Are you suggesting that the failure of the developer to obtain the necessary work permits prior to commencement of work at the site is of no great importance?

Thanks for posting that story.

Well, for one, it will probably open after I move out. I suppose that's a good thing.

Do they expect the project to span the whole space between 97th and 100th? I assumed it to be built in front of the existing 788 Columbus Ave. building, current set-back from 98/99th thanks to a parking lot. The recent activity at the one-story lot I've spoken of in this thread (in front of 784 Columbus) makes me believe otherwise.

As for the 80,000-square-foot basement, tenants are assuming at least part of it will be used to replace the existing parking lot that will soon be cleared for the 808 project.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast