Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 47 East 34th Street - by H. Thomas O'Hara

Default 47 East 34th Street - by H. Thomas O'Hara

Anyone have any information on the approvals/status on this proposed builidng/tower?

I understand the builder is Basile Builders and, from DOB filings and neighborhood gossip, sounds like it will be appx 37 stories. I live in the neighborhood and think 37 stories is pretty tall considering the surrounding buildings. would love to hear that it will actually be shorter.

http://basilebuilders.com/

thanks.
    (first time poster)

Quote Originally Posted by DKNY
    I live in the neighborhood and think 37 stories is pretty tall considering the surrounding buildings. would love to hear that it will actually be shorter...(first time poster)
    Welcome, DKNY.

If you've surfed this board a bit, you've discovered some puzzlement here over why folks think tall buildings bad in most places. Most of us here can't answer that question except by reference to the West Village or Park Slope, and hence it's safe to say most of us think it's just an enexamined bugaboo (like black cats).

But here you are live and in the flesh thinking this, so let me ask you: how will the building's [fairly modest] height impact you personally?

Kindly say things that are real and true. The theories we are well familiar with; I can give you those.

As i posted initially, these are my first posts here so please flame lightly if you must.

I have two major complaints about the height, one is a general concern for the look of the neighborhood and the other is completely personal/selfish. First, i honestly think it will look out of place at more than twice the height of any other building and second, it is going to completely block my light and current view of the empire state builiding.

was really wondering if anyone knew how to figure out if the approvals were finished and if 37 stories is what I have to look forward too when i look out my window.

No other theories and nothing that isn't real and true.

That rendering is so ugly, I'd support your nimbyism.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ sfenn, unlike you, DK is concern about the height. The design could be fantastic and it wouldn't matter one bit to DK.

Dk, may I ask where you are from, originally?

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    That rendering is so ugly.
    That's because it's designed by none other than the...get ready...drum roll...H Thomas O'Hara!

Sfenn -
    I concur that the drawing is ugly - especially if the side facing me will be the blank brick side.

AntiNimby - I was not raised in one particular place - lived all around the world, cities and suburbs. Why?

As i posted initially, these are my first posts here so please flame lightly if you must.
    Thought I did that. You don't know heavy.

I have two major complaints about the height, one is a general concern for the look of the neighborhood and the other is completely personal/selfish.

First, i honestly think it will look out of place at more than twice the height of any other building and second, it is going to completely block my light and current view of the empire state builiding.
    Thanks for your honesty.

I agree it disrupts the look of the street. It does that by emphasizing its verticality whereas its neighbors like horizontal. It would benefit from a cornice and setback at the 5-7 story level and a different window treatment. Can't say the color helps either. This is pretty bad alright, but that's due to the architect's incompetence, not the building's height.

Sorry you'll lose your view. But you knew that wasn't your God-given right in a city...right?

was really wondering if anyone knew how to figure out if the approvals were finished and if 37 stories is what I have to look forward too when i look out my window.
    lofter1 is waiting in the wings to answer that one. Sit tight.

Again, welcome.

the site is at 47 & 49 East 34th Street
    the Lot is very small maybe 5,000 s/f
    (plus they bought the Development/Air rights from 51 & 53 East 34th Street)

they should buy the building to the West at 45 East 34th Street
    to make a larger foot print.

AntiNimby - I was not raised in one particular place - lived all around the world, cities and suburbs. Why?
    Nothing, just curious. Is it safe to say you are not a native NYer?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Is anybody here a native NYer?
    Last edited by stache; June 26th, 2006 at 04:53 AM.

Anti-Nimby -- correct, I am not a native New Yorker.

Jeffpark - thank for the info.

ablarc - no, i have seen flaming - you definitely did not flame me. Of course, i knew a great view wasn't my god given right. just a nice perk that i will enjoy until the 29th floor (from my rough calculations) goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpark
    they should buy the building to the West at 45 East 34th Street to make a larger foot print.
    That way they can block more people's views.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    That way they can block more people's views.
    yes

Of course, i knew a great view wasn't my god given right. just a nice perk that i will enjoy until the 29th floor (from my rough calculations) goes up.
    We expect nothing less than full time-lapse photo documentation of the progressive disappearance of your view. You can be our webcam on this project.

You do have a camera, don't you?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast