Eaglevale Arch is Central Park’s only double arch, carrying an access road to the West Drive from Central Park West over both the bridle path and a pedestrian path. The pedestrian path was originally a narrow arm of the Lake going from Balcony Bridge to the Ladies’ Pond. Considered a nuisance, the Ladies’s Pond was filled in by 1936.
Sometimes referred to as the 77th Street Stone Arch, the structure today divides Naturalists’ Walk and Azalea Walk. Built in 1890, the arch measures 150 feet long and 36 feet wide. It is constructed of gneiss rock, which resembles schist, in blocks of random ashlar.