Current Status: Complete
Architect Cook + Fox Architects
Address: 113 West 42nd Street, at corner of Sixth Avenue and West 42nd Street
Height: 945 feet to the roof
1,200 feet to the pinnacle
Number of Stories: 54
Also Known As: Bank of America Tower
Discuss One Bryant Park at Wired New York Forum
The Bank of America Tower at One Bryant Park is a 1,200 ft skyscraper in Midtown Manhattan. The US$ 1 billion project is located on Sixth Avenue, between 42nd and 43rd Street, opposite Bryant Park. Measure to its pinnacle, it is currently the second tallest building in New York City, after the Empire State Building, and the fourth tallest building in the United States. It was been designed by Cook+Fox Architects to be one of the most efficient and ecologically friendly buildings in the world. Bank of America will be its anchor tenant.
The tower’s architectural spire is 255.5 ft tall. The building is 54 stories high and has 2,100,000 square feet of office space. Its final height was reach upon the placement of its spire in December 2007. The building will have three escalators and a total of 53 elevators – 52 to serve the offices and one leading to the transit mezzanine below ground.
Several buildings were demolished to make way for the tower.
The design of the building will make it environmentally friendly, using technologies such as floor-to-ceiling insulating glass to contain heat and maximize natural light, and an automatic daylight dimming system. The tower also features a greywater system, which captures rainwater and reuses it. The building was made largely of recycled and recyclable materials. Air entering the building is filtered, as is common, but the air exhausted is cleaned as well. Bank of America Tower is the first skyscraper designed to attain a Platinum LEED Certification.
The Bank of America tower is constructed using a concrete manufactured with slag, a byproduct of blast furnaces. The mixture used in the tower concrete is 55% cement and 45% slag. The use of slag cement reduces damage to the environment by decreasing the amount of cement needed for the building, which in turn lowers the amount of carbon dioxide greenhouse gas produced through normal cement manufacturing. One ton of cement produced emits about one ton of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
Control of the temperature of Bank of America’s tower, and the production of some of its energy, will be done in an environmentally-friendly manner. Insulating glass will reduce thermal loss somewhat, which will lower energy consumption and increase transparency. Carbon dioxide sensors will signal increased fresh air ventilation, when elevated levels of carbon dioxide are detected in the building.
Conditioned air for the occupants is provided by multiple air column units located in the tenant space that deliver 62 degree air into a raised access floor plenum. This underfloor air system provides users with the ability to control their own space temperature as well as improving the ventilation effectiveness. When building churn occurs, workstation moves can be performed easier with lower cost and less product waste.
The cooling system produces and stores ice during off-peak hours, and then uses ice phase transition to help cool the building during peak load. Ice batteries have been used since absorption chillers first made ice commercially 150 years ago, before the electric light bulb was invented.
Water conservation features in the tower include waterless urinals, which are estimated to save 8 million gallons of water per year and reduce CO2 emissions by 144,000 pounds per year. The tower has a 4.6-megawatt co-generation plant, which will provide part of the base-load energy requirements. Onsite power generation reduces the significant electrical transmission losses that are typical of central power production plants.
The Henry Miller Theater
Henry Miller’s Theatre is a Broadway theatre located at 124 West 43rd Street, between Broadway and 6th Avenue, in midtown-Manhattan.
Designed in the Neo-classical style by architects Paul R. Allen and Ingalls & Hoffman, it was built by and named for actor-producer Henry Miller. The original theatre had 950 seats. It opened on April 1, 1918 with the play The Fountain of Youth. It was the first air-conditioned theater in Manhattan.
The theatre had its first major hit with Noel Coward‘s The Vortex in 1926. Following Miller’s death that same year, the theatre was managed by his son Gilbert, who bought it in 1930. From the 1930s through the late-1960s, the theater enjoyed its golden years, with performances by Helen Hayes, Leslie Howard, Lillian Gish, Douglas Fairbanks, and Ruth Chatterton gracing its stage.
In 1968, it was sold to Seymour Durst. It showed feature films as the Park-Miller until it became a porn palace called Avon-at-the-Hudson. In 1978, it was converted into the discotheque Xenon. Twenty years later, it returned to legitimate use as the Kit Kat Club, borrowing its name from the club featured in the popular revival of Cabaret it was then housing. It was rechristened the Henry Miller when Urinetown opened in 2001.
The theatre was closed in 2004 and subsequently remodeled to make way for the 54-story Bank of America Tower. Its facade, landmarked by the city, remains, and the Durst Organization includes a 1,055-seat theatre within the new structure. In 2007, it was announced that the Roundabout Theatre Company would operate the Henry Miller as its third Broadway theatre. The new theatre is scheduled to open in September 2009 with the Roundabout Theatre Company production of a revival of the musical Bye Bye Birdie.
Notable past productions at the theater include: